Watch: In 1976 a stunt man stood on top of an airplane in flight

Originally published at: Watch: In 1976 a stunt man stood on top of an airplane in flight | Boing Boing

2 Likes

https://www.aerosuperbatics.com/about-us/history-of-wingwalking/

5 Likes

If it was one of the “strangest” that’s only because it was pretty pointless. He was strapped in tight and wasn’t actually doing anything that a sack of potatoes couldn’t do. As pointed out above, decades of earlier wing walking acts were a lot more interesting. The Human Spider Peter Parker didn’t just stand on top of the plane for no reason.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Granted, passing out from a hail of high-speed raindrops is kinda crazy, though. The only thing I can think of that would compare is JMW Turner tying himself to a ship mast during a winter storm…

3 Likes

I’d wonder who comes up with these ideas, but I’ve watched The Stunt Man.

3 Likes

They even made a comic. I had issue #1 at some point as a kid and it’s the only reason I knew this…

There was other “non-real” ones in the Marvel canon, but usually as villains to Spiderman:

2 Likes

Like others here I wasn’t really impressed by the sack of potatoes strapped on the plane but I like the looks of that old jet .I’d forgotten how they looked, some combination between graceful and sinister. Id much prefer riding inside than out. You know you’re never gonna get the snack cart rolling by. up there.

Clay Lacy was no stranger to doing… unusual things with airplanes. When a novel long-distance closed-course air race was held in 1970, most of the competitors dealt with the distance by making a mid-race pit stop with their Mustang and Bearcat WWII fighters. Not Clay, who was able to do it non-stop by flying a 4 engined DC-7 airliner!

2 Likes

Well that’s not gone well!

/Clarkson

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.