Watch incredible moment when a teen's golf ball is struck by lightning mid-air

Originally published at: Watch incredible moment when a teen's golf ball is struck by lightning mid-air | Boing Boing

12 Likes

#deity: “Fuck THIS golf ball, in particular.”

46 Likes

Do not anger the gods, or else.

17 Likes

This is my favorite part of the proliferation of smart phone cameras: weird, random phenomena that previously would simply have been a story that no one would have believe. I look forward to more and more clips like this.

I, for one, welcome our new golf-ball smashing lightning overlords.

40 Likes

27 Likes

heavy stuff

priest hit by lightning

30 Likes

Does this suggest that standing in a flat field in a lightning storm and waving a metal stick above head height might not be the best idea? Honest question.

21 Likes

What’s the procedure, drop a new ball on the scorch mark, take a two stoke penalty, carry on?

23 Likes

I know it appears that way, but I don’t see how that happens. Lightning needs to go somewhere. The circuit needs to complete. A golf ball in mid-air can’t just absorb the lightning. More likely, it hit a pole in the background that holds up some netting.

4 Likes

This doesn’t seem possible, since the ball isn’t grounded. It may pass through the ball on the way to something on the ground, but that’s not what’s depicted in the video, where the bolt hits the ball and then stops.

6 Likes

Like here, where a plane is struck in midair: Watch: lightning strikes plane in midair - YouTube

2 Likes

You’re supposed to yell “FORE!”, not “THOR!”

38 Likes

Came here thinking of this exact scene, well played!

5 Likes

They’re out driving golf balls during a thunderstorm in TX. This is what i call a deathwish.

15 Likes

Welcome to Texas.

5 Likes

Thank you, Texas State Board of Education.

If You Say So Shrug GIF

21 Likes

Airplanes get struck by lightning in midair with some frequency. Other than being a smaller target, not sure why this couldn’t happen…

11 Likes

The lightning only on the topside of the ball could be the result of an unfulfilled ascending leader while the main bolt connected elsewhere.

7 Likes

Evolution Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

14 Likes

Makes me wonder why there aren’t more Big Foot and UFO sightings. Hm. I wonder why. :grin:

6 Likes