Watch Judge Vonda Evans sentencing racist cops to years in jail

Yeah, I guess it was an unexpected reminder for me that people can compartmentalise vastly diametric character traits within a single personality.

3 Likes

I was going to crack a joke about his future with Trump security. But that sentencing was amazing and a joke feels disrespectful to the solemn event I just watched. Hopefully the judge is right and his character is redeemable. We need the guy who saves people from fires. The guy who beats up black people for sport, not so much.

3 Likes

I thought the governmentā€™s responsibility was to get out of the way of business, let citizens have enough guns to start their own war and tell women what to do with their bodies?

3 Likes

While Iā€™m pleased that the offending officer is going to jail, I think itā€™s important to point out that Inkster is an economically disadvantaged community, and the $1.4M settlement is going to be paid by the residents in the form of a special assessment on their property taxes.

So not only are the predominantly black residents of Inkster very possibly getting harassed with regularity from its predominantly white police force, but now they get punished some more by having to directly pay the settlement a couple particularly racist white cops precipitated. Iā€™m so disgusted right now. Most communities have insurance policies to pay out such settlements, itā€™s a bit unheard of around here for taxpayers to get hit directly for police malfeasance.

13 Likes

So, he got between 13 months and 10 years? Did I hear that correctly?

2 Likes

Yes, with (I think) credit for 90 days already served. 13 months to 10 years is an odd range.

3 Likes

And the judge said he has 45 days to file an appeal, so thereā€™s that unfortunately. But as egregious as it is when courts let abusive cops off the hook when thereā€™s a video of the abuse, surely no judge would be so corrupt as to overturn a conviction of a abusive cop caught on video.

1 Like

That statement is to political systems as ā€˜donā€™t read the commentsā€™ is to YouTube. i think

1 Like

Yup. And as with YouTube comments, ignoring them doesnā€™t make the horribleness go away :disappointed:

1 Like

Did you know Michigan supreme court justices are elected? And most of 'em are Republicans? I guess what Iā€™m getting at is that if the cop continues to appeal, eventually itā€™s possible that he will find a court corrupt enough to overturn the conviction.

5 Likes

waits patiently for the ā€œHey that Evans judge is racist hurr durrā€ apologist to show up in the commentsā€¦

2 Likes

Amazed theyā€™re not here already.

1 Like

Sheā€™s a female judge at that. Iā€™m surprised our Poetry Slam critics arenā€™t here to tell us that women are too emotional to be judges and this is supposed proof of that.

7 Likes

Thanks everyone for making comments against comments no one is making. Itā€™s like you all want trolls and strife.

2 Likes

Is this like summoning Beetlejuice by saying his name three times? Iā€™m not sure thatā€™s how the internet works.

Stating surprise that they havenā€™t shown up is not the same as wanting them to appear nor beckoning them to do so.

1 Like

I have seen this level of thoroughness before. This is to utterly raise the bar on the appeal process such that the appellate court would ask (implicitly) ā€œOn what grounds did the original ruling miss an important mitigating cause of action?ā€

By raising the bar of a successful appeal to this level, this may cause such appellate court to possibly INCREASE this original sentence if they find his case uncompelling. ā€œNope, she covered all of the bases; youā€™re out, see you at your next parole hearing. Here is your parting gift of additional (suspended) time for making us sit through your trial again.ā€

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.