Watch Michael Jackson fire someone mid-song

Originally published at: Watch Michael Jackson fire someone mid-song | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Savage to the core. /s

4 Likes

I’m no fan of Mr. Jackson as a person, but screwing up your star’s performance like that, especially at that level, is not acceptable. Michael’s reaction was pretty contained I’d say. I mean, have you ever listen to Buddy Rich go off on his band?

7 Likes

Even with the “subtitles” it’s not clear what’s going on, it’s like one of those “bad lip reading” videos

7 Likes

I dunno about this one - the music guy really screwed up, especially ending it abruptly at the end, and the singer rolled with it instead of having a fit and leaving the stage.

4 Likes

Even as a child I never understood the “speak no ill of the dead” concept. Why? Fuck ‘em, they were assholes. How’s that different now that they’re dead?

Which is another way of saying that when I’m gone you’re all welcome to breathe a sigh of relief and eviscerate my dumb memory.

9 Likes

Um, a quick, very quick, as in a few seconds, found the true story. He’s not saying Brad Gone, he’s saying Doggone, which without subtitles you can clearly hear, he had been known to do that but don’t believe me, here’s the guy he did not fire that day. He continued touring with Jackson.

Go to 32:25 to hear Brad Buxer tell the nothing story.

I’m sure the documentary This Is It was heavily edited but if you’ve ever seen that you would see a very professional artist that appeared to treat everyone on stage very well.

22 Likes

What, you’ve never seen a singer fire someone by repeatedly singing the phrase “Job’s gone”? /s

…Yeah this is apparently some weird urban legend

The music director is Brad Buxer, a longtime collaborator with Michael. Michael did not fire him for this mistake. Tech issues happen, Michael knows this.

The song is meant to cut (not fade) on “and if I stop-“ and then transition to the song “She’s Out Of My Life.” Michael putting his head in his hand is part of the routine, he’s not rubbing his temples thinking of the tech issue, nor was he saying “job gone” - “doggon” was a common ad lib for him.

12 Likes

YEP!!

6 Likes

consistent with his stage persona as a kind of G-rated James Brown

8 Likes

Well thanks for the clarification - I couldn’t even tell what was happening that was wrong even.

5 Likes

An answer that makes sense to me is that the dead can’t defend their actions, so you should be prepared to cut them some slack. But it probably shouldn’t apply to those who had every chance to explain while they were alive, let alone ones with spokespeople to do it for them.

8 Likes

This is a very strange article

The clip is not “hilarious,” the transcript is not correct, and even if it were accurate it would not illustrate what it’s claimed to be illustrating

13 Likes

Wow. So wait, not only does the video not show what you said it did–in fact the producer was not fired and MJ’s “annoyance” was no such thing, just part of the act between planned songs–but even if it did show MJ being annoyed at being made to look like a fool on stage in front of a live audience when he was at that moment the King of Pop at the height of his command of the pop world… why then, it would no more be a “window into the veracity of his victim’s claims” than any other reaction he might have had at any everyday mishap or disappointment. Really, how would him being annoyed at a stage mishap prove that he molested children–this is one of the craziest leaps of logic I’ve ever heard.

And I love that the author here mentions how “watching the king of pop become a figure of scorn was one of the wildest heel turns I’ve experienced” as if the act of scorning was one completely lacking in agency, and just something that happened in the universe without people like the writer all jumping aboard. Dude, you are literally the one doing the scorning, for reasons unrelated to his alleged crimes, apparently just because everyone on Twitter or something says it’s ok to rip MJ now.

Finally please do a tiny bit of due diligence before spreading urban legends, this is not your grandma’s Facebook page but a blog many readers trust (for now).

12 Likes

I mean there’s plenty of reasons to shit on Michael Jackson - this doesn’t seem like one of them.

13 Likes

Yeah, I dunno what to say here. The entire article is wrong, and just seems ill researched. And you found it in like, minutes, because Brad Buxer has been trying to stop this urban legend for a while now.

7 Likes

¿Que tontería acabo de leer?
El tipo siguió trabajando con MJ y la reacción es hasta relajada para lo que le están dañando que es un concierto de los más grandes de la historia, no un concierto de cualquiera.
Nota más amarillista.
Por cierto eso de despreciarlo, es lo que han vendido intentando, pero siempre les sale el tiro por la culata, siempre les sale al revés, el hombre sigue vendiendo y logrando récords, lo querían cancelar, silenciar y no han podido, por eso siguen ladrando y buscando hasta un vídeo en el que no hay nada de malo para sacarlo de contexto.

2 Likes

It can be difficult when we find those we idolize aren’t perfect.

6 Likes

So…now people can’t be fired for screwing up?

And we have no idea what is really happening here. This is a perfect example of, once we think ill of a person, then everything they do is put under the lens of “this is a horrible person, and let’s interpret everything we can with that narrative”

1 Like

We actually DO know what is really happening here, because the guy supposedly getting fired has gone on numerous talk shows and podcasts and email threads trying to tell people that he absolutely wasn’t fired and that this was part of the show.

6 Likes