WATCH: Musician plays eerie sounding instrument

[Permalink]

4 Likes

Eerie sounding. Also sounds like thereā€™re several instruments playing at once.
Living with that view itā€™s small wonder heā€™s inspired to invent.
That gap under the door looks like it lets in a howling gale in winter however. Perhaps heā€™s stripping back his cabin to build his creations.

1 Like

Super crazy instrument. The sound is really something else, itā€™s like a cello on steroidsā€¦ and acid. I bet listening to it in person would be pretty amazing.

Made me think of this:

But seriously, itā€™s a very neat sound. Iā€™ve been trying to find the sort of music he bases his composition upon, but Iā€™ve cume up woefully short. Any tips?

2 Likes

Interesting. Itā€™s essentially a completely acoustic-resonator implementation of the classic spring reverb tank. Heā€™s just got drum membranes as the amplifying mechanism instead of a pickup and tubes/transistors.

2 Likes

It reminded me of the Zube Tube (I didnā€™t know they still made them). This is bigger and cooler, of course. Also made me think of the Long String Instrument.

1 Like

Come for the music, stay for the view!
Iā€™d love to live in that room, what an amazing space and view.

2 Likes

Looks like the videographers took the time to gel the windows to avoid blowing out the highlights. I wouldnā€™t expect anything less from someone in that castle of musical goodness.

1 Like

Yeah man. I am digging the vibe. ( I really talk like this )

2 Likes

Good lord thatā€¦ thing produces such eerie, bizarre sounds.

Now, I want one.

Or, preferably to build one, only even more spring reverb drums and additional add-on apparatuses for enhanced effects. Run it through a nice Fender amp, add some pedal effects, and sit on a mountaintop wailing away.

Uh, wellā€¦ something like that.

Hey, I wonder if the guy would make his design available for others to replicate. ā€œSoundsā€ like it would be a very intriguing ā€œmakerā€ project to build, IMHO. 8^}

Pretty freakinā€™ awesome.

Funny how springs make reverb so simply.

Makes me think of this with the multiple harmonics:

2 Likes

Boo-hoo, itā€™s on Vimeo. I canā€™t manage to get Vimeo video to play on this machine.

However, Iā€™ll keep the link so I can point people who keep insisting on arduino-ing every little, simple task, to it. So many interesting sounds, sights, sensations, and processes donā€™t need computers. To wit, the Star Wars lasergun sound.

I have a similar problem with Soundcloud, work computerā€™s browser isnā€™t entirely up to date and canā€™t handle it. Occasionally it will refuse to play Youtube videos saying that it canā€™t handle Flash but then i reload a few times and itā€™ll work.

No insulation, and looks like single-pane windows. Iā€™m going to go out on a limb and guess that Istanbulā€™s weather is a lot like the rest of the eastern Mediterranean.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got Firefox 33.1, but with NoScript - which I think is the ā€˜problemā€™ with Vimeo, even though Iā€™ve got ā€˜allow allā€™ set for boingboing. It might be third-party cookies, which are verbotten here.
The only way Iā€™d be able to watch it, I guess, is to fire up the old Boxee box.

SoundCloud? Iā€™ve never been able to get it to work either. Their loss, if you ask me.

I picked up Beethovenā€™s ā€œOde to Joyā€ at 6:02.

Edit: On relisten, I see he started quoting ā€œOde to Joyā€ at 4:25.

1 Like

Interesting! Though I was referring to the classical Turkish elements:)

Youā€™ll need to click on the NoScript icon and allow Vimeo also. Alternatively, go directly to vimeo.com and allow them there. Youā€™ll often have to allow Embedly too for embedded videos.
For Soundcloud youā€™ll need to allow sndcdn too. The cdn part is ā€˜content delivery networkā€™ and lots of sites use that cdn suffix also.
Hope that helps if you havenā€™t tried it already.
Then if you want an extra layer of security, run your browser in a sandbox. I use SandBoxie.

I recommend Sandboxie too, really easy to use too.