WATCH: New 'Hamilton' movie trailer released, Disney film premieres July 3

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/22/watch-new-hamilton-movie.html

5 Likes

WOW…just WOW!!!

9 Likes

I’m glad a wider audience will be able to see it. The soundtrack on its own is awesome, but it goes to a new level when you see the other elements of the show.

One of the sweetest things I remember from the experience was the excitement and emotion of the young girls in the audience (my niece included). I’ve never seen a group so amped up for and invested in a night at the theatre. It was as good as the show-stopping cheer from the entire audience at Hamilton’s and Lafayette’s line just before the Battle of Yorktown.

11 Likes

It may take me some time to warm to it, as it’s been hyped so much it will only let me down once I see it. This is not a ding on the quality of the work, just on my own trouble processing things that are hyped.

So I am cautiously looking forward to it. I’ve been a history buff ever since I was a kid, seeing historical sites was always my greatest pleasure (and part of why I stayed in Europe where everything is dripping in history). And I did hear bits and pieces, and truly enjoyed the witty wordplay mixed with well crafted music composition.

But the hype. It… I can’t get past it, how past disappointments have poisoned future expectations.

Ah, well. I love to challenge myself.

3 Likes

This is a big day in our house.we hope to have a group of young people in.

2 Likes

Is this actually a trailer from the film? It looks… stage-bound. They should open it up!!

1 Like

The film is 3 nights of the musical with the original cast.

4 Likes

It’s a filmed version of the Broadway show with the original cast.

4 Likes

Snap!!!

3 Likes

I owe you a Coke.

3 Likes

Good thing he made that editorial change when he did to avoid confusion and conflict of interest.

8 Likes

Ah, Hamilton. A relic from a better age. Sometimes when I want to feel bittersweet I watch Lin Manuel Miranda perform Alexander Hamilton in front of the Obamas at the 2009 poetry jam. A poetry jam in the White House. Can you imagine? Great art, by PoC no less, and a president who appreciates it, who is overcome into a standing ovation. It gives me goosebumps. And I’m not even American, don’t have any emotional connection to the founding fathers, don’t listen to hip hop a lot or have ever seen the whole musical. This is the world we used to live in!

14 Likes

I REALLY hope they someday do an animated version with a “Spiderverse”-like comic-book-meets-street-art aesthetic.

5 Likes

Nowadays it’s mostly just racist limericks.

9 Likes

I think a stage version is what I want to see most - not having had a chance to see it live

5 Likes

I’ve been in thrall to this show since the White House little preview, the release of the soundtrack, and the PBS Great Performances “Hamilton’s America” (which I kept on the DVR so I could watch it over and over again). I’ll be on pins-and-needles till July 3.

2 Likes

I know the feeling. I finally saw it in London on March 10th (must have been one of their final shows) and it absolutely exceeded all my expectations. For one thing, I did not expect it to be as beautiful as it is. It’s an integral work on many counts:

1. It integrates the language of Broadway shows with rap, hip-hop and other musical genres;
  2. It merges the historical with the modern, beginning with a view of our “Founding Fathers” as a bunch of very young men trying to figure their way in the world;
  3. It integrates masculine and feminine, giving time and attention to the viewpoints of the women around Alexander, who are given depth and agency;
  4. As part of this, it presents an integration of the extremely personal and individual with the cultural and systemic forces around them, of literally historic scale, showing how each is enmeshed with the other.

Plus, as a white viewer steeped in a white-centric culture it’s easy to overlook how specifically powerful the experience must be for non-whites to see such a high level of beauty and excellence in people who look and sound like them. And then there’s a rather surprising turn that through at least one lens, the show is not really about Alexander Hamilton at all.

4 Likes

FWIW, it took me a couple of songs to get into it. My initial reaction was, “…this is it?” But it steadily builds as it goes along. I’m a big fan. Hope you like it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.