Watch: Nicole Kidman plays Lucille Ball in "Being the Ricardos" biopic

Originally published at: Watch: Nicole Kidman plays Lucille Ball in "Being the Ricardos" biopic | Boing Boing

I recall reading a few years back that there was a lot of intrigue happening in the Ball-Ricardo universe. Looks like this movie will cover that ground.

Speaking of Lucy, I have to comment that while at Universal Studios Hollywood a few years ago, they had the character come around while we were having lunch. Blew. My. Mind. If I didn’t know better, I would swear it was her, even sounded like the original. My pic of this lookalike. Bravo to her, whomever she may be!

10 Likes

I caught [in the way back] Desi February 1976 open for SNL, he looked to be in his element and enjoying it to the hilt.

I think you can get a glimpse on youtube…

6 Likes

I’m not sure about the Javier Bardam casting.

12 Likes

Who did you think should get it, Scarlett Johansson?

Javier isn’t pretty enough. And I don’t know if he has the musical chops.

Plenty of Latino musicians and actors out there.

8 Likes

I wonder how it will compare with Gillian Anderson’s Lucy?

American-Gods-lucy-wink

12 Likes

But have any of them starred in a Coen brothers movie? That’s bank!

1 Like

Yeah that one was a puzzler. I think I’d rather they get a lesser known actor, or a Latino star who isn’t as well known in the United States but has the right mix of skill and looks to play Desi.

Looks like this biopic is going to cover the legendary “grape stomping” bit in which Lucy was almost done in by the Italian woman they cast to do the scene with her (TL;DR: the woman was a real-life grape stomper but didn’t speak English, due to a communication mix-up she thought she was supposed to fight Lucille Ball in real life rather than just fake-fight for the camera).

5 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing.

Anderson’s look as Lucy in AG was uncanny…

2 Likes

And also as Marilyn and David Bowie…

I’m sure Nicole Kidman will be great, tho…

8 Likes

i think Nicole Kidman is such a great actor that she will be perfect as Lucy. i’m just excited that such a period movie is being made about her and Ricky. it’s going to be set dressing eye candy for hours, on top of the acting and story.

4 Likes

It’s good to see the always delightful Tony Hale, too.

1 Like

Right. The cast looks pretty awesome. J.K. Simmons as William Frawley - I’m on board with that alone.
I think Kidman is an amazing actress, she’ll be great in this.

2 Likes
3 Likes

She don’t make a good David Bowie at all. Lacking the cheek bone. Dying the hair and eye shadow anyone can do.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

5 Likes

It’s weird how you seem so determined to rain on Mindy’s parade, regardless of the topic.

Kinda creepy even.

7 Likes

This looks like it’ll be good!
For anyone interested in the subject who hasn’t heard this Planet Money piece, it’s really interesting:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.