Watch: Nothing like a good ol' disaster movie to distract us from our chaos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/26/watch-nothing-like-a-good-ol.html

5 Likes

My husband started watching this trailer last night having no clue what it was about. I lasted 15 seconds before I had to leave the room. I just couldn’t stomach it.

(Disaster movies have never been a favorite of mine even when we’re not facing simultaneous climate/health/cultural crises.)

eta: spelling

4 Likes

I particularly enjoy disaster movies from the 1970s.

1970s-disaster-films-feature-theplaylist

8 Likes

I couldn’t make it halfway through the trailer just now.

2 Likes

Ugh. Patriarchal dad-movie bullshit, like most of these movies. And it looks like a total drag to boot. I’ll just go watch Deep Impact again - at least it has a sense of optimism about it.

10 Likes

70s disaster movies taught me to never travel anywhere with Ernest Borgnine.

32 Likes

Theater? Not even in Aug.
Do a limited PPV release then a streaming service.

2 Likes

I think it would be pretty entertaining. You’d need Gene Hackman in a tight turtleneck leading us all to safety.

11 Likes

Aha, maybe that’s what Bunkerboy was talking about when he said he wanted to buy Greenland

5 Likes

That’s a good motto to live by under any circumstances.

2 Likes

Wait… what? A flaming Orange Ball breaks up before our eyes and risks destroying the entire World. Isn’t that already happening?

33 Likes

I think you won the internet for today. Take the rest of the day off to celebrate.

5 Likes

Too fantastic for me… Everyone knows in reality half of the US population would be crying bullshit and nonsense about conspiracies, even as the meteorites start falling and obliterating cities some would be crying to just ignore them for the sake of the economy and that if God intended us to survive hot lava throw at us he would have give us fireproof skin.
Of course the rest of the world would already had already settled Greenland for months.
The part of the plane bursting into flames? The most credible one. :joy:

10 Likes

Well, that just gave me nightmares!

2 Likes

ok, had to laugh at “space agencies are predicting…and extinction-level event” like that’s a pronouncement that anyone would ever put out. “Yep, no hope, we’re all gonna die”

3 Likes

Looks like somebody in development was pissed about not getting that Disney job.

2 Likes

I heard not-so-great things…

a50fc7a8685cdf1cabb8ed7e9a59d89c

10 Likes

Disaster movies are a big part of what got us here right now. They conditioned audiences to look for a quick-fix gimmick in the third act, invariably administered by a white guy, to fix all the important stuff by the time credits roll. The only part left unsaid is the innumerable funerals.

It’s disaster movies that taught Trump to refer to “them” instead of “us” when referring to the problem solvers.

9 Likes

Spoiler: Greenland gets hit and all the government officials die. (I hope.)

1 Like

You could call it - a Geostorm.

3 Likes