Watch: Nothing like a good ol' disaster movie to distract us from our chaos

Not to mention the governor of Florida insisting on keeping businesses open rather than having people seek shelter.

6 Likes

For a second there, I wacky parsed that as “Figment” devistates Central Florida.
Like he grew up, and went all Game of Thrones on the place.

4 Likes

Well, that is a given. You don’t want an overly excitable travel partner.

4 Likes

I highly recommend the pictured (on the far right) Juggernaut, although it’s IMHO so low on the traditional cheesiness, that it doesn’t really feel like a disaster flick to me.

1 Like

I saw 1996’s “Twister” for the first time last night; Helen Hunt (who I easily confuse with Laura Dern), Bill Paxton, and an atmosphere steeped in the 90’s. I enjoyed it tremendously! The CGI destruction was a thing to behold. Oh, and douchey Cary Elwes got twister’d, which was oddly satisfying.

5 Likes

Oooh… Morena Baccarin … take my money now please. :smile:

4 Likes

Haha! I actually know a guy whose parents met Ernest Borgnine and his wife on a cruise many years ago. They became friendly with each other over the course of the trip and ended up taking vacations together for several years afterward.

9 Likes

That’s awesome, and it must be the most exciting set of vacation slideshows ever!

4 Likes

Where’s Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck when you need them?

3 Likes

The obliterated cities would be littered with the charred skeletons of the people who demanded their god damn haircuts!

8 Likes

NB: Spoilers…

6 Likes

I’d rather just re-read just Lucifer’s Hammer a third or fourth time…

4 Likes

Disasters were so much more manageable, then…a plane, maybe burning skyscraper, or if you were really unlucky, your ship flipped over. Now it’s the whole fucking planet.

11 Likes

I always thought of disaster movies as ‘the big distraction’; sure, the cgi is great, but what can you actually DO about this ________ [flood, fire, volcano, comet, alien invasion, insect infestation]. I would much rather see more work like They Shall Not Grow Old https://youtu.be/IrabKK9Bhds or frankly, more of Denis Shiryaev, and HE’s not even from Hollywood!

Cow!

4 Likes

Juggernaut scared the crap out of me a kid, just as I’d hoped it would; and the parachuting scuba-divers was the coolest thing I’d seen up to that moment.

@anon75430791 I think that it is a shame that we never got a buddy-cop movie featuring Earnest Borgnine, and BRIIIIIAN BLESSSSSED.

@RadioSilence What do you think caused the comet to break up in the first place?

5 Likes

When the emergency broadcast played while they were in the truck, part of me wished the message said, “If you are hearing this broadcast and you are outside, you’re probably not gonna make it. Good luck.” It seems worse to say “Seek shelter immediately,” if listeners not already in a shelter when there’s two seconds to impact won’t be able to follow that advice.

1 Like

Seeing him in that setting would’ve made me double-check the location of my life preserver. :fearful: :ship: :ocean:

6 Likes

If you want an intriguing premise, personable leads and an affecting story, try Miracle Mile (1988).

Either that or Last Night (1998), another end-of-the-world sort-of thriller. (With Sandra Oh and not Keira Knightley.)

I saw both at the time on a “you should go see, it’s good” recommendation knowing nothing about them. This seems incredibly unlikely to happen nowadays. There’s just so much more info.

(I also saw Tampopo (1985) on the same recommendation which is a very fine film but not in the disaster genre.)

2 Likes

Oh hey, a house just crashed in front of us. Let us drive through the living room, shall we? Very good.