WATCH: People caught illegally abusing handicapped parking placards

who gives a shit what the effort was for, dont misuse handicap spots. Simple and done!

3 Likes

I love parking enforcement! I see people park in handicapped spots regularly where I work without any obvious need. One guy parked in the spot, then RAN across the street to Starbucks! The terrible thing about it is that there is regular parking almost always available closer than the handicapped spot.

2 Likes

I really meant, “Don’t book 'em Danno, they might be picking up a disabled family member,” but if we are to assume fuckery then we only need escalate.

• Run back to your car frantically, shouting something about them being taken to hospital and drive away fast.
  • Leave the car there and pick it up later.
  • Oops, wrong [wherever you are].
  • Turns out my wife already picked him/her up.
  • They’re not ready to leave yet, I’ll have to come back later.
  • We had a huge argument, he/she became very distressed and won’t talk to me any more, thank you very much. What’s with all the invasive questions? Shouldn’t you be devoting your resources to covering the massive crime wave sweeping corporate [wherever you are]?

And, given the myriad of potential legitimate situations, as above:

• It’s none of your business, fuck off.

Always escalate. I mean, if you’re already committed to being a lying douche bag. :smile:

2 Likes

“because otherwise they might go unused”

cough cough…

Philadelphia’s a weird town. She’s also the type to go find one to ask.

One of the best ever scenes from the IT Crowd has a variation on this,

4 Likes

I used to work on a street where the cops would often set up a seat belt checkpoint. They put out a big sign: “Seat Belt Check - 1000 feet”. 1000 feet up the road there’d be half a dozen cars pulled over getting tickets for not wearing seat belts. Shooting fish in a barrel indeed.

3 Likes

Did they apply IQ tests before or after the big seat-belt shakedown?

I have a 33% disability because of injuries from work a few years ago. I could qualify for a placard here in SF. I have good days and bad, but I can’t complain… ( old joke )
So , I am sensitive to the whole handicap parking issue here in the City. It is hard enough to find parking here anyway. One day I was walking with cane and two young women zoomed into a well marked handicaped spot and as I walked by, hung up a placard. Playing old and stupid, I stared at the warning sign, and at the blue paint marked spot and at her as she bounced out. She notice me watching and offered a great excuse : “Not all disabilities are obvious!” Ain’t that the truth…

1 Like

The closer spots aren’t too surprising - the handicap spots often aren’t designated as such because of proximity, rather it’s marked the block of clearance on the side to allow lifts to operate

Which makes the abusers even more assholes - without the space it’s not that a handicapped person would need to move farther to the entrance, it’s that they may not be able to get out of their vehicle at all. Or even worse, say they risk parking in one of a pair of spots, when they get back the clearance spot could be occupied, preventing them from being able to get back in their car.

I’ve seen motorcycles parked in the clearance next to the accessibility spot. Despite it seeming like a perfect size for a bike, they clearly don’t get what it’s for.

4 Likes

Not for running and hiking, perhaps. They probably go there for outdoor sex!

2 Likes

The concept that someone would break the law in order to avoid adding a few extra blocks to their long recreational walk boggles my mind. Perhaps it’s an LA thing.

2 Likes

I have cerebral palsy and walk with a noticeable limp. But I still enjoy hiking. I also have vision issues and so I don’t drive at all, but if I did, I would certainly qualify for handicap plates. A lot of people with mobility issues hike, go to gyms, and participate in other exercise. It is actually more important for us than for abled bodied people because by nature we tend to get less exercise and tend to gain weight.

12 Likes

In general, there should be no on-street parking for anyone (except perhaps those who are handicapped/disabled). If you think you have to drive somewhere, when you get there, take your fucking car with you. Don’t leave it laying about on public property where it gets in everyone’s way. I mean, I’m not allowed to leave any of my other shit laying about, what’s special about fucking cars that we set aside so much valuable space for them? No off-street private parking near where you’re going? Take the bus, walk, cycle, or take a cab. Seriously.

1 Like

A number of old urban neighborhoods have no garages, and those neighborhoods are the ones that most often have designated residents’ street parking. Those people usually do bike and walk a fair bit, but they’re also typically neighborhoods where not owning a car at all is hard unless you’re fit and don’t have young children. So here, we’re probably not talking about “if you have to drive somewhere.” We’re talking about people parking near where they live…

One thing a lot of people are forgetting is that the handicapped placards are registered to a person - if they stopped people, found out they were the registered holder of the placard, the police would give them a “thanks for your time, sorry to disturb you” and sent them on their way.

But that doesn’t make good television.

1 Like

Unless the handicapped person interrogates the police after, that usually makes for a bit of a spectacle!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.