Watch: people in Shanghai screaming out of their window after a week of total lockdown

Originally published at: Watch: people in Shanghai screaming out of their window after a week of total lockdown | Boing Boing

2 Likes
10 Likes

Reminds me of one of the Moses movies, where all the Egyptians are crying out at passover.

2 Likes

… and then… the screaming stops…

3 Likes

I feel like there has been a tone shift with the Shanghai lockdown. Previous lockdowns were portrayed as dystopian but efficient and necessary. Now it seems like the narrative is much more that it is dystopian, harmful and unnecessary.

4 Likes
7 Likes

It reminded me of the tower bonfires in A Quiet Place - isolated people reaching out to connect to each other the only way they still can.

1 Like

I read somewhere that some recent research indicates lockdowns and similar social controls don’t really prevent pandemics like we intuitively think. They have an effect - but not a massive one.

This does not lump in vaccination rate or similar proactive medical steps - just the social stuff like physical distancing.

I would assume this is due to many many factors that will take years to fully understand.

2 Likes

That was, I can say for the first time in my life, truly soul chilling.

I lived in NYC for a while. I’ve heard a city celebrating, mourning, crying, protesting, even one dancing, but never heard a city cry out in pain and frustration like that. I’ve never heard of a city with that level of built up anguish.

If it was a human, I’d think they’d snapped, and were about to lash out at any convenient target. Unless someone can tell me there is a Shanghai tradition of screaming loudly out your windows, I’ll go with that.

4 Likes

“What you are hearing is victory yelps as we beat Covid!”

3 Likes

That was some strange and interesting audio. Like ghosts. I kind of wish the guy hadn’t talked over it the whole time though.

2 Likes

Damn, I hadn’t heard about the government drone sent in response. Truly dystopian.

8 Likes

Yeah, as much as the right wants to demonize China, their government is pretty draconian. :confused: Remember when this started 2 years ago, they were welding people into their home.

I wonder what their vaccination rate is right now.

I think the right is also a little jealous they can’t get away with the same shenanigans.

1 Like

Nobody hears your screams in Shanghai.

2 Likes

Can you just imagine all the tiny droplets each of those screams is letting out?

7 Likes

It’s a little over two years since this.

We’re battered and broken.

6 Likes

South Korea prioritized on free testing and thorough contact tracing and never got to the point of using full shelter-in-place orders, providing direct compensation and supplies for quarantined families (to encourage people to get tested and self-quarantine) and promising free treatment for severe COVID-19. and when Omicron spread too much for any of that to work, released much of the restrictions already in place. Fatality rate thankfully remains very low.

1 Like

If I lived in one of those incredibly high, massive high-rise blocks, I’d be screaming too, lockdown or not.

2 Likes

“Control your soul’s desire for freedom” is going to be the slogan for the whole 21st century.

3 Likes