Watch: Police very politely arrest Illinois mass shooter: "do me a favor, get down on your knees"

I don’t think people frustrated with how easily this guy got taken into custody means that they WANT him or someone like him to be shot down in a hail of bullets. I think it is sarcastic frustration that someone who they were 90% sure was armed and 100% sure had just killed a bunch of people was taken into custody rather routinely, while a routine traffic stop so often turns fatal.

Jayland Walker was shot at like 90 times! 90!!! I mean holy fucking shit - 90! I heard the body cam. I was like, what in the fuck are they shooting at??

One might say Crimo was treated differently because this suspect complied when pulled over. That probably helped the situation, but it doesn’t tell the whole story. I believe cops are all psychologically primed and that racism is the main factor of that priming. Priming is when your brain is ready to see or connect two things together based on seeing the first thing. Like you see a briefcase on a bench you would expect a guy in a nice suit to come by and pick it up. You are primed to react to a stimuli based on past experience.

Cops are trained and have it ingrained it is them vs the world and there are wolves lurking out there to tear them apart. Any lapse in that mindset will leave you dead in the streets. They quickly learn to dehumanize anyone they encounter, even for routine traffic violations. Doubly so if “They deserve it.” Even cops who don’t consider themselves racist or are POC have racial bias because of training, having them police poorer neighborhoods, and confirmation bias.

Add dehumanization + priming + racism and you get modern policing today. They are primed to see non-white as all potentially hostile criminals. This is why if they see a zip lock bag in the car from a kids PBJ they think it means you have weed in the car. Or any object in the hand can become a gun - because they are primed to see a gun. Some of them may even swear they saw a gun, even though it was a phone or a comb or something.

What’s worse is with that combination applied to white people, they don’t have priming and racism working into the equation. So their perceived threat level is already several degrees less.

I mean, they have these scenarios in their video training, where they have a scene play out and you have to decide when to shoot. There are videos of people taking that training, and they fail all the time. All the time. I don’t know if anyone ever did samples where they have identical scenarios with different colors of actors and then compare the two groups on which scenario lead to a bad shoot more often, but I am confident white people would get shot less.

In the 90s when the murder rate was much higher than it was today, and there was even more street crime and gangs, they coined the term “super predator” to describe these criminals. In all seriousness, that labeling applies to a lot of cops today. They are literally looking for people to prey on and ruin lives. Due to years of dehumanization, priming to think minorities and the poor are criminals and dangerous, and years of affirming their cognitive and racial bias, I think any sort of chase triggers that predator mentality further. That has to be how an unarmed black man gets shot 90 times!!! while white mass murders are taken into custody. Or they think someone is “reaching” while lying prone. Or in the case of someone like Rittenhouse, waved to get out of the way so they could go take care of “the real problem”.

I still haven’t gotten through this whole play list, but this youtuber is an ex-cop and now part of the police abolition movement. I have no idea how this guy manage to flip the switch in his brain that he was the bad guy, but he did. (He mentioned how a Run The Jewels song actually caused with some self reflection in a later video.) I imagine there are more people like him, but not making youtube channels. The first video talks about how he would dehumanize people they encountered. And this guy was “one of the good ones”. I think while as a cop, he did so with good intent. Think how much worse the bad ones must be. (note, this guy has a very Bob Ross like voice - which is a little different, so it may take time to adjust.)

20 Likes