Watch Polyphonic Spree cover The Rolling Stones' "She's a Rainbow"

Originally published at: Watch Polyphonic Spree cover The Rolling Stones' "She's a Rainbow" | Boing Boing

The Netflix series Legion has a pretty neat soundtrack, which is where I found She Comes In Rainbows. Sort of like how carjacking someone in GTA, ends up with streets filled with that same car only in different hues and states of disrepair; after binging Legion, along comes The Polyphonic Spree’s cover of She Comes In Rainbows:

Not my cup of meat. Though admittedly I did give it 40 seconds.

2 Likes

" The Netflix series Legion"

It aired on FX and is streaming on hulu

3 Likes

I did think the Polyphonic Spree were interesting when I heard this track in the olden days, but they never quite managed whatever it is that would have converted me into a Spreehead

3 Likes

I liked this a lot, but I still prefer the World of Twist’s 90s Madchester indie-dance version:

4 Likes

I expected more Transformers; but that is Positronic Spree.

3 Likes

Not bad. Perhaps a little too spot on, which makes it inferior to the original. I’m still of the mind a truly good cover brings something unique in terms of the voice, or a new arrangement that changes the effect of the song (compare Ring of Fire in its original form by Johnny Cash with some of the followups, particularly Dilana’s moody slow version, or this rocker from Social Distortion: Social Distortion - Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash cover) - YouTube). Or any of those Leo Marchello metal covers which are always a delight.

3 Likes

Or Johnny Cash’s cover of NIN’s “Hurt”.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, that’s a truly different and haunting version of an already deeply haunting song. There’s such a difference between the reedy, aching voice of Trent Reznor with its overtones of male insecurities and painful depression, versus the elder Cash’s version with its husky, cracked notes and world weary tone.

2 Likes

I keep asking Leo Marchello to cover Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel’s “Come up and see me (make me smile)”. There are a lot of covers then barely stray from the original, and I’d like to hear a version with more attack. Until then, I’ve got the Wedding Present version (I’d love to give David Gedge a hug).

2 Likes

That’s a lovely divergent take on a favorite, thanks for sharing!
Now I await the dub reggae version …

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Polyphonic Spree is one of those bands that’s just better live. The full weight of a 20+ person band owning the stage and audience just doesn’t translate to the interwebs.

2 Likes

And they caught crap for being imitators.

1 Like

100% co-sign w/ you on this.

Exactly!!! That’s why one of my favorite covers of all time is 311’s Love Song from Fifty First Dates:

I’m a huge Cure fan, so I can’t not-post the original

4 Likes

Well since you were kind enough to @ mention me, here’s my favorite Tampa band:

1 Like

I & I likey!!! ^____^

1 Like

I bought a new acura RDX because of this song.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that, I looked it up, and that commercial is pretty cool! ^____^

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.