Watch professor smash laptop in front of class

This is what I call subverting expectations

4 Likes

In watching the gif I like how you can see all the student’s heads moving in unison.

Happy Birthday to the GROUND. I’m AN ADULT!

4 Likes

Awesome. For the haters out there, anybody that signs up from a class led by an early contributor to SRL should be bummed that it did not intentionally explode into flames and gore. A good buddy of mine likes to tell the story of one of their performances including a cricket cannon shooting insects into the crowd.

4 Likes

A little theatricality can be effective for causing you to remember things decades later. It is called teaching.

2 Likes

Yeah, they’ll remember he smashed a laptop. They’ll probably tell the story a lot. And you know what he taught them? That he smashed a laptop.

And then, of course, the class “critiqued the performance.” Self-indulgent theatricality.

But that’s just one man’s opinion, and my twenty some years of teaching experience are probably not enough to justify it.

6 Likes

How in the world does smashing a laptop demonstrate compassion, inclusivity, making an artifact or experience that’s provocative (well, okay, I guess, for some very surface YouTube jump scare level of “provocative”), improving lives and well-being across communities, and authenticity? Sounds like he wanted to smash a laptop because he could get a big rise out of an audience (which is, of course, the most important part of teaching! To have the students like you!). And then, he found a rationale to backfill that action.

5 Likes

It could be difficult to attract or keep good cops to a city where they might have to think twice before using necessary force in the line of their duties, for fear of financial repercussions.

Seems to me the good apples who think twice before using necessary deadly force would come in because they would have an advantage and would be able to advance more quickly while the rotted filth gets pruned from the barrel by personal bankruptcy.

In any case do we really want cops who feel it’s too much to think twice before killing people or at the very least spending hundreds of thousands of someone’s money on a lawsuit? Maybe they’ll finally realize that running away from danger is better than running towards danger with guns a blazing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.