Watch: Rand Paul tells students "misinformation works" in resurfaced 2013 video

there’s enough room in the world for multiple sociopaths. unfortunately

the journey of his self certification is certainly wild enough.

and he’s lied about having a bachelor’s degree, and been caught plagiarizing his speeches ( gattaca, really?! )

i also like that he’s apparently not certified currently but still perfoms the occasional surgery on the uninsured… which sounds like a dangerous recipe

22 Likes

Ideological libertarians tend to frown upon lying, as false information works against personal agency, and is a form of aggression.

Those who play libertarians for personal reasons, not so much.

10 Likes

Wow, Rand Paul is a disingenuous a-hole? I had no idea, there’s never been any indicators - except all those other things he’s said and done, I suppose…

What’s interesting - and disconcerting - about the Republicans is not how awful they are, but how proud they are of their awfulness. In my lifetime they’ve always been the party of “family values” and “religion” and “morality” - it was always a sham, but it’s a sham they’ve seemingly given up on. Now they seem to be a party of power and projection (they have to do terrible things to get and hold onto power because the Democrats are only interested in power, you see…).

He formed his own licensing board (himself and family members) and let his other certification lapse.

20 Likes

Donald Trump Lol GIF by GIPHY News

27 Likes

I think he also suggested students sabotage the other group’s cadaver, so they could do better on tests.

5 Likes

Save that video. Post it back to social media every single time he opens his damned mouth. Copy his response (especially if he defends the tactic). Make him defend himself repeatedly for the rest of his career. Make certain everyone remembers him for “I would sometimes spread misinformation. And this is a great tactic. Misinformation can be very important.” forever. Carve it on his gravestone. Senator Rand “Misinformation works” Paul.

16 Likes

Perhaps you mean left libertarians, but the capital-L Libertarians who currently define the ideology in the U.S. (AKA Ayncaps) take a different view. As I’ve said before, the unspoken Libertarian business and political ethos amounts to: “I believe myself to be more intelligent/credentialed/beautiful/[otherwise privileged by society] than you, therefore I am perfectly within my rights to scam and trick you.”

16 Likes

Ayn Rand apparently does decry lying in her novels. I mean, I don’t know if she does in the context of scamming and tricking people to get ahead…of course her heroes are all Übermenschen so wouldn’t have to it weren’t for society. But for instance saying something nice to spare someone’s feelings? That’s where the road to hell starts.

12 Likes

Yeah, Ayn Rand recognized that lying to others is much less effective than lying to yourself.

13 Likes

Which are, themselves, full of lies…

That’s because she was a terrible human being.

18 Likes

He’s not wrong, but damn being so glib about it? you’d think there would be repercussions as people realize he’s a piece of shit.

8 Likes

He basically admitted he’s a sociopath. Which we kinda already knew. But it’s great when they are dumb sociopaths and aren’t able to hide so well.

Wouldn’t they be OK with lying? Anything is permitted, as long as it isn’t illegal/anti-capitalistic. If your lying is such that it causes market forces to avoid and stigmatize you, then you will not lie so much; all glory to the Invisible Hand of the Market! [NOTE: however, if it’s a conservative being penalized, that is cancel culture and not allowed!]

5 Likes

It’s less common that it used to be, and with good reason. I don’t know how much med school does this, but either way it was probably a lot more common when the randhole was in school.

3 Likes

Let’s not ignore his destructive ideology behind this: he thinks he gets ahead if he pushes his neighbors down. It’s almost like stacking trash to disrupt his neighbors view makes the view from his house better.

6 Likes

I am certainly no expert on this, but my understanding of the principle is that capitalism is basically a set of agreements on who does/delivers what and when. For there to be functioning markets there has to be a lot more truth than lies in the agreements that compose those markets. So for the ideological who comes to libertarianism because they think markets are the best way of distributing wealth, lying is a huge problem. Lying works against markets.

Most people calling themselves libertarians are not driven by figuring out how to fairly distribute wealth; they are driven by self-justifying being awful to other people. For awful people, lying is indeed much more of an opportunity than problem.

1 Like

Pretty sure he’s lying…

Lying, IOW.

So, he admits to being ethically challenged & will lie when it suits his purposes.
Apparently, those who vote for hm find these to be admirable qualities.

He cheated & lied about cheating!
Not to mention lying about lying… calling it ‘spreading misinformation’ doesn’t change anything.

11 Likes

Saturday Night Live Snl GIF

11 Likes

He claims to be some sort of Libertarian but belongs to the Republican Party, so his whole persona is based on a lie.

6 Likes

I looked up this SNL reference:

Still not exactly sure why you responded to that quote instead of

which seems to be your point maybe?

1 Like

Capitalism is pretty much thick with lies. Any general survey of reality will reveal that fact.

Just because someone spouts an ideological viewpoint doesn’t mean it’s correct, just because it “sounds like it should be.” What libertarians propose is brutality for the vast majority of humanity and the spoils for a select few. The logical outcome is just a new kind of feudalism. they just dress it up in pretty words that make that seem like the “common sense” order of the world. It’s not.

11 Likes