Watch: Rand Paul tells students "misinformation works" in resurfaced 2013 video

Originally published at: Watch: Rand Paul tells students "misinformation works" in resurfaced 2013 video | Boing Boing

12 Likes

He’s a piece of garbage, but I’m sure lots of right-wingers and Libertarians will cheer the speech just like they did the Gordon Gecko speech in Wall Street.

37 Likes

33 Likes

what a colossal douchebag.

44 Likes

Especially since, for most tests anyway, you are graded on how you do, not on how your classmates do. But, I suppose obsession with other peoples’ achievements is a hallmark of the conservative mind.

34 Likes

You know that song “Momma Tried”?

Well, his didn’t.

15 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

18 Likes

Has higher level education in the US stopped grading on a curve? Almost every single one of my college classes would lower the threshold for an A if the average was low.

11 Likes

“Misinformation” . . .

It’s called lying.

33 Likes

Yeah, I guess that could have been his angle.

3 Likes

Sadly, he’s not fucking wrong about that.

37 Likes

even without curve gading, i think your overall grade matters in determining who gets to pick residency slots first - so if you harm your fellow students you’d have a better chance of getting your first pick

i wonder if any of his fellow students turned up missing or died while he was there…

edit re:

10 Likes

That would be more of a Ted Cruz/Zodiac thing.

8 Likes

Sadly, I knew people like this in med school. This was one of the reasons most classes changed to pass/fail.

22 Likes

Not really how match works… Part of it, but much more based on faculty recommendations and interviews. Thank God.

16 Likes

So often the difference between good guys and bad guys is not what they say, just whether or not it’s a lament.

19 Likes

Jesus fucking Christ. Med students aren’t competitors. You all need to get a proper education so you can, you know, be doctors.

23 Likes

Even assuming he was trying to juke class rankings, or effect a curve. Didn’t he like not graduate and get a sketchy license or land at the bottom of his class or something?

12 Likes

And USMLE STEP exam scores. I don’t think a residency would be impressed by a 3.8 GPA and a 213 on the STEP 1.

6 Likes

Don’t know his academic performance, but in that case, it’s more a “see, everyone else is dim witted like me”, rather than “I’m an intellectual powerhouse!”

5 Likes