Watch: Southwest pilot leans out of cockpit window to retrieve passenger's phone

Originally published at: Watch: Southwest pilot leans out of cockpit window to retrieve passenger's phone | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Service is not usually what you think when reading about an Airline, but here you go.

12 Likes

That’s where a selfie-stick would have been handy. (I have one only for when I want to use my phone as an inspection tool.)

4 Likes

They should have first turned on the phone’s video camera.

4 Likes

when I went to miami some years ago I something (left my phone in reserved waiting area) and did not realise that till I had boarded… oh god dammit…

3 Likes

fairly good idea… but you did mean to record

2 Likes

Yes, not to replay the phone owner’s recent adventures.

3 Likes
  • I didn’t realize that those cockpit windows opened.
  • Odd because most people have their boarding pass on their phone these days.
  • Twitter is still up and working?
8 Likes

Well there’s no point blaming the camera

1 Like

Right? Maybe it’s so the pilots can have a quick smoke mid-flight. Joking, but I wonder why they do open.

2 Likes

i just went through that airport for the first time a couple weeks back. it’s the weirdest airport i’ve ever been in. everything’s OUTSIDE. it’s like a california dream world from television or something.

3 Likes

The outside/inside art deco building was used in a lot of classic movies from the 40s and 50s.

We live about a mile away and it’s super convenient to drop off or pick up my husband during my 10 minute break now that I’m working from home. If he flies out of HellAX or John Wayne, he’s on his own.

2 Likes

They can only be opened when the aircraft is unpressurised.

They open for ventilation on the ground and some aircraft have cockpit windows that also do duty as escape hatches for the pilots.

IIRC there was at least one hijack thwarted when the pilots fucked off out the windows and legged it.

4 Likes

YES! i was glad to see the signage that they are restoring that building. just from the outside, it’s fantastic. and yes, we specifically went through Long Beach because the LAX route is basically the same distance away from my husband’s parents’ house, and we wanted to see if it was more convenient. turns out it was, so i’ll probably be going through there more in the future.

2 Likes

Faa’a Airport in Tahiti is also outdoors, though you don’t notice at first. When you arrive you go in through glass doors, but don’t realize that it’s like a hospital gown: open at the back. When it’s hot and humid, if you’re lucky you have a lounge pass that allows you to go upstairs into an actual enclosed room with AC. Otherwise you’re…outside.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.