Woman caught hiding in Southwest overhead bin before takeoff (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/10/woman-caught-hiding-in-southwest-overhead-bin-before-takeoff-video.html

6 Likes

Southwest Airlines, the Walmart of the Skies!

7 Likes

Standard behavior for SW staff:

6 Likes

I have to say, that generated headline image is uniquely unnerving. It implies some spatially-impossible tunnel in the overhead bin that can swallow people up into dimensions unknown. It’s some real “back rooms” type stuff.

1 Like

Some shifting of contents may have occurred…

5 Likes

Really, thankfully? Exactly who would have been harmed by this if the plane took off? Other that maybe a few people needing to put their bag under the seat instead of the bin, not really any harm to the passengers.

What worries me is that people take a 530 Km flight, in the same country, between neighbouring states, with no lakes or water in the middle. It is 30 minutes to get to airport, wait for 2 hours, then flight for 30 minutes, then wait another 30 minutes to leave the airport. Total saved time: 1 hour and a half, max 2 hours. Bcos Merrrrrricaaaaa.

4 Likes

There’s one scenario where nobody notices for the entire flight, it’s all smooth, and the extra person disembarks just like anyone else.

There are lots of scenarios where that doesn’t happen.

• Turbulence and the person is harmed.
  • The person falls out and is injured.
  • The person falls out and injures someone else.
  • The person is found after take off and the flight is redirected and delayed.
  • The flight has any number of emergencies and the person disrupts emergency procedures resulting in harm to themselves or someone else.
  • The person didn’t have a ticket and Southwest losses money.
14 Likes

Oh, it gets even worse; I’ve done the “Phoenix - Albuquerque - Dallas” shuffle a fair number of times, and it has to do with the Wright Amendment to the Texas Constitution which was put in by the other airlines that were trying to squash Southwest in it’s infancy by stipulating that they couldn’t do any flights from Cities in Texas to anywhere else except neighboring states. So, me and my overhead luggage gets to take a total of four flights to get from Phoenix to, Dallas, with a stop to change flights and planes and Albuquerque and then fly into Dallas from there. the checked luggage (aka the big pelicon case with my tools n such) got fedex’d directly to the site I was going to. It was / is absolutely stupid and wasteful of fuel, but it is what it is.

Driving from Dallas to Albuquerque? Let’s see… Dallas Love Field (Southwest’s home airport) to Albuquerque International is roughly 650 miles (1,050 Km) and a 9 hour 30 minute drive.

It’s MUCH faster than driving from Dallas to Phoenix, though.

2 Likes

Unless you count driving time as dead time and that 2 hrs in the airport as valuable work time, both of which I do.

3 Likes

So why did she get up there? More legroom?

9 Likes

What’s the loadbearing capacity of those shelves? A fall could be pretty nasty for all concerned.

4 Likes

If you have TSA precheck and don’t check luggage, you can cut that time down a lot. I typically arrive only an hour before flights, and can usually get out of the airport in 15 minutes or less once I arrive.

Since I think I’d be hard pressed to make 500 km in < 5 hours, that seems like a pretty reasonable trade off.

1 Like

That really depends on traffic and route. That’s less than the speed limit on major highways.

1 Like

There’s no space for your carryon and you have to waste time at baggage claim.

1 Like

It depends on if you’re driving solo.

You’re shittin’ me, right?

2 Likes

while it’s pretty cool to see it laid out like that, i doubt that accounts for all the additional energy required to support and maintain the airport and the airplane. nor even the bits of getting to and from the airport for passengers.

( granted probably not also road maintenance, but the roads are also required to support the airport - so that part’s on both sides of the equation. )

really probably the best - preaching to the choir i’m sure - is always going to be buses and trains. ( if we ever build a decent system here in the us. )

1 Like

FTFY.

1 Like

Give the choice, I’d much rather lay down in a coffin-sized compartment than sit in a seat.