WATCH: Speed bump overdose

This video really needs a smart car in it

1 Like

I have on the authority of a Northern Ireland friend that while in most of the UK they are known as sleeping policemen, in the North of Ireland they were known sometimes as dead policemen.

1 Like

Iā€™m told that one should slow down whilst driving over these things. Never seen the point meself, thatā€™s what the suspension is for.

So what do they call policemen who are sleeping? (Or is that a self-answering question?)

Agree. The ā€œsleeping policemanā€ term has long since gone out of fashion in the UK. Probably went the same way as other buzz-words created by publicists like ā€œchunnelā€ for the channel tunnel and ā€œopen channelā€ (a great UK government creation) for CB radio. Also agree that the bumps are (along with mini-chicanes, 20 mph speed limits and speed cameras) the the invention of the devil incarnate. I drive for a living and thereā€™s hardly a bump-free zone anywhere in my home town. Iā€™m convinced that they do the carā€™s suspension and tyres no good at all. Great scheme, eh? Yes - weā€™ll give you roads but then weā€™ll make it more difficult for you to actually use them. In fact, weā€™d rather you not use them at all.

Wait! I got it!

1 Like

Coffeemilk Bubblers

poetry.

Random thoughtā€¦

Electrically actuated/assisted suspension. Laser scanner for 3d-scanning the road surface in front of the car. (Which may also auto-upload the location and size of potholes to the road-repairing agency.) Active lifting or lowering the wheel, in addition to the mechanical suspension action, based on the 3d model of the road and model of the carā€™s dynamic behavior. Possibly able to ā€œthumpā€ the wheel down to force a slight car jump over particularly bad-edge holes.

Could be useful for quite some roads too.

I remember seeing them called ā€œspeed rampsā€ somewhere when I was living in Ireland. I liked that term, sounded more like a challenge than a request to slow down.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.