Watch Steve Martin do Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean"

He gets a pass since he actually worked with the Beatles before imo.

3 Likes

Seconded, I love Pom Poko, and I cry at the end every time when they explain what bags under your eyes really are. I’ll concede it is long, but if it’s what you’re in the mood for, nothing else will do.

4 Likes

I’d never seen this clip until now, but I remember my sister telling me about it at the time. I vaguely recall The New Show; I think Teri Garr hosted it when I watched. There was a sketch that took place in the household of the advertising person who came up with “Where’s the beef?” The whole family comes over, and since they’re proud of the advertiser, everyone asks “where’s the beef” and the wife (Garr) finally goes nuts. (ETA: Wikipedia says it was a “where’s the beef”-themed wedding.)

4 Likes

Surely the best bit was vocoder robots singing “She’s Leaving Home?”

3 Likes

I remember very little about the movie at this point :stuck_out_tongue: Don’t know if i made it that far

3 Likes

That’s your brain dealing with the trauma in the best way possible…

3 Likes

Maybe you had to be there. When Billy Jean came out people actually watched MTV and every yahoo and their dog did jokes about it, parodies, and such. It was everywhere. It was a gigantic phenomenon. Mocking it was kind of a national pastime for a while.

7 Likes

It also has combat testicles!

2 Likes

I was there. I guess I just don’t remember that aspect. Come to think of it, the humor of Martin’s “wild and crazy” arrow through the head happy feet King Tut phase seems inexplicable to me now.

1 Like

Legitimately likely to be true, i seriously hated watching it and i think i can honestly say its the worst thing i’ve ever seen. If not top 3.

1 Like

I’ll second that, I really enjoyed Pom Poko. Interestingly, in the dub they’re referred to as having ‘pouches’, so as not to harm our delicate sensibilities.

3 Likes

I only saw one or two episodes of The New Show before it was cancelled. (As I recall, it had the lowest Nielsen rating of any show that spring.) But it did have one of my all-time favorite John Candy bits: Roy’s Food Repair (with Carrie Fisher, Dave Thomas and Paul Simon).

7 Likes

I mean Steve Martin is Steve Martin but out of the stuff that wasn’t trying to be funny I actually thought Aerosmith was the only redeeming performance and it wasn’t just the best of a bad lot, I think they killed it. I mean they played the shit out of their song, and it fit them and their image perfectly. Otherwise, yeah I was at least hoping for so bad it’s entertaining but it couldn’t even muster that.

3 Likes

I don’t recall if i got far enough into it to see Aerosmith play. I have complete amnesia regarding this movie beyond liking Steve Martin.

5 Likes

I can tell you about unwatchable… Oh the things I have seen. That film while a trainwreck is still has some good bits. I can name you worse but that is for another thread.

3 Likes

I think we need a bad movie thread.

7 Likes

Pom Poko is such a weird movie. The first two thirds are kind of cute and funny as the elders try to whip the lazy tanukis into a fighting force. It reminds me a little of McHale’s navy, but with more magical testicles. The last third is flatly tragic. When that boat sails away over the horizon…

tumblr_no2hkwGLBa1tfbtrwo1_500

2 Likes

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter was a bit too long and too slow. Phil Caracas’ earlier works, Harry Kuckles or Harry Knuckles and the Pearl Necklace are bite size and make for entertaining interludes.

1 Like

“Roy’s Food Repair” is the only skit from the show I remember, except for an opening monologue from Steve Martin on the first episode where he recited a ridiculous list of principles the show would adhere to. I don’t understand why it got such low Nielsen ratings, everybody I knew loved it.

I feel ashamed that I have not yet viewed this noble work of art. Especially since I stood shoulder to shoulder with a monument to one of these brave souls last year:

2 Likes