Watch: The BBC's 1982 guide to nuclear armageddon

I remember practicing “Duck and Cover” drills when I was in primary school in the early 1960s.

They should call it “Bend Over and Kiss Your Ass Goodbye” for all the good it would have done to “Duck and Cover”…

1 Like

Aren’t we supposed to lie down and put a brown paper bag on our heads?

To be fair, it is fairly sensible advice as far as surviving the actual blast goes.

Sure you might still die in a variety of horrible ways in the irradiated post-nuclear hellworld we unleashed on ourselves but on the other hand you might get to have cool adventures with mutated talking kangaroos.

2 Likes

That would be just as effective…

Both of which were written by MPs, which should make us stop and think very carefully about the sort of people we choose as MPs, or about what those people know that inspires such fiction.

1 Like

Timely considering we almost had accidental nuclear armageddon 1 year later

3 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (3)

4 Likes

If you’re interested in or appalled by the social impact of nuclear war I hope you’ve subscribed to the Atomic Hobo Podcast (available most places you get podcasts). It’s having a little break while the creator Julie McDowall completes her book, but there’s a big archive to sustain you until it returns.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.