Watch the explosive moment a truck on the highway is struck with a lightning bolt

Originally published at: Watch the explosive moment a truck on the highway is struck with a lightning bolt | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Someone’s about to find out about the “acts of god” clause in their insurance contract

13 Likes

was not hit…but was in the path of the said item…

2 Likes

Couldn’t have been that bad if the popcorn didn’t even go off.

8 Likes

Jesus Christ that was crazy

3 Likes

Don’t blame me, that’s dad’s handiwork. Those Nicene dudes got it totally wrong.

6 Likes

So why do they have a package of microwave popcorn in their truck?

2 Likes

I had this happen to me a number of years ago driving down an interstate at 70 mph in Alabama. It wasn’t a direct strike but it was near enough to fry my alternator and radio and blow out one of my tires…and scare the shit out of me and my companion.

7 Likes

I’ve read that a car is one of the safer places to be in a lightning strike (assuming you have to get hit…) because the rubber tires attenuate the ground connection quite a bit and the body creates a decent skin effect to direct most of the current around you. Still, I wouldn’t want to put it to the test.

7 Likes

It is one of the safer places to be but not really because of the insulating effect of the tires. It’s all about the metal body being more conducive than human flesh, plus the faraday cage effect.

7 Likes

I wonder who he chose instead of Zeus in his trial of the gods. Hopefully not Dionysus, since he was driving.

3 Likes

Betcha God was aiming at the deer nuts hanging off the truck.

4 Likes

That wasn’t actually a dashcam recording, though. So now I’m wondering why they just happened to be recording at just the right moment. Did one of them have a premonition? Is one of them a lightning whisperer? Did they call the lightning down?!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.