Watch the first trailer for time traveling feminist thriller "The Shining Girls"

Originally published at: Watch the first trailer for time traveling feminist thriller "The Shining Girls" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Lauren Beukes is great. I had mixed feelings about The Shining Girls, but I really love Broken Monsters. I’ve re-read it a bunch of times; it’s thoughtful and gross and creepy and goes somewhere unexpected at the end.

Elizabeth Moss plays strong characters who fight against oppression, like the ad-agency worker in Mad Men who struggles against Fifties sexism and the woman in The Handmaid’s Tale who is living in a theocracy. It seems like a jarring disconnect with the fact that she’s a Scientologist. I get that Scientology is a different experience for celebrities, whom the cult prizes and cossets. I’m not sure whether that makes things better or worse.

10 Likes

If this genre floats your boat, great. I’m probably not the only one in 2022 who’s a little fatigued by productions whose opening premise is a string of murders of women by a psychopath. Is there ANY other trope that writers and producers would consider switching to occasionally?

3 Likes

NOT getting another streaming service!!! NOT getting another streaming service!!!

Futurama Reaction GIF

2 Likes

My policy with AppleTV is to wait until they’ve released all the episodes of a few shows I’m interested in, binge watch them over the course of a month or two, then cancel until the next season and/or batch of shows are released. It annoys me to no end that they release episodes weekly instead of all at once and there’s still not enough content to justify maintaining a subscription year-round.

3 Likes

I like her but this trailer does nothing for me

1 Like

Ok phew, I didn’t want to be the first to say it…

I mean I liked it well enough, but don’t quite get the hoopla. Would give it a solid 6/10.

1 Like

Let’s bear in mind she was born into Scientology, not “converted”. I think that might make a difference.

1 Like

I am very certain that I’ve read this book, but I literally can’t remember a thing about it. I’m with you.

That really doesn’t make a difference. Whether she was as born into it or not she gives money and a public relations boost to a very, very bad group of people.

I share your pain. The description of this as a “feminist thriller” isn’t enough to overcome my serial killer aversion. The Silence of the Lambs was released in 1991. Over 30 years of this in film and on TV is more than enough.

Seeing a few more films described the same way makes it seem that in film terms, feminist = woman who fights back against those who oppress, hate, abuse, attack, and/or kill women :roll_eyes::

1 Like

Now that Dickinson is over is there any reason to have Apple TV+? I am asking seriously - everything else on the service I have watched has been ok, but not worth money.

One of the reasons I wasn’t that thrilled with the book was that the feminist-allegory angle was too eye-rollingly obvious to feel like it meant anything.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.