Watch the highlights of AOC playing "Among Us"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/21/watch-the-highlights-of-aoc-playing-among-us.html

10 Likes
19 Likes

Brilliant outreach to an historically apathetic demographic. I hope it makes a difference.

19 Likes

What’s really great about this and, really every approach she takes, isn’t necessarily the immediate need for young voter registrations and GOTV, but the fact that she is bringing young potential voters along with her on a journey that is really only just beginning. By the time she primaries Schumer (:crossed_fingers:t3:) and begins her presidential campaign with VP Abrams (:crossed_fingers:t3:), she’ll have an army of devoted, intelligent and internet savvy progressives.

33 Likes

I can’t fucking wait! :crossed_fingers:

14 Likes

A curiosity: a week before AOC did this, a mayoral candidate for San Paulo, the biggest megacity in Brazil, did it first.

Because of the way time in broadcasted television works proportionally here, he would have only 17 seconds to advertise his campaign points so his strategists first did a 24-hour live marathon on YouTube and then a day later a group of podcasters and Youtubers invited him to play Among Us.

It was a big hit! Seeing AOC borrowing a page from Boulos a week later was really funny for Brazilians :blush:

9 Likes

That would be a DREAM ticket!!!

4 Likes

Tell me about it. I was desperate for Biden to pick her, but no such luck. Fortunately, they’re both young and have a lot left to give AND have already planted a flag as unapologetic women leaders who do not abide the classic techniques used to silence and marginalize them. I’m tired of waiting for the old guard to begin acting up and take a stand. Time for some John Lewis-style “good trouble” with women at the helm!

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the VP still has to meet the requirements for eligibility to be the president on day one of the term, and IIRC AOC is just shy of being 35 in time for 2020.

Besides, I’d rather keep her and the rest of the Squad in the House where they can keep kicking ass and taking names.

18 Likes

AOC made me want to play Among Us, lol. Loved watching her play!

IRL, she gives me hope.

5 Likes

Absolutely. And then one or two terms in the Senate. The presidency has vast influence, but only for a brief period. Congress is where the legacy barriers really persist and desperately need progressive governance to upend.

Of course, step one in doing this is DC and PR statehood, but I digress.

5 Likes

On an semi unrelated note. Mel Brooks makes his first political endorsement in video.

Brooks continues to be one of the coolest people to ever walk the Earth

Btw AOC is wonderful. She does New York proud.

19 Likes

/signed on statehood for DC and PR. They are crewmates, not imposters!

6 Likes

They are also Americans who deserve equal representation and protection under the law!

9 Likes

i don’t even play that game but i was 100% with her on her reactions. that was so fun to watch. she’s amazing. say hello to the future of political campaigns.

5 Likes

Next game: “Through the Darkest of Times”

PR voted for statehood, their last go 'round.

8 Likes

Ilhan played too!

As much of a badass as AOC. She’s endured a lot of shit behavior from people in D.C.

11 Likes

Yeah, that would actually be step one; referendum votes in both jurisdictions to legitimize it. The Constitutional aspects of it are shockingly simple, assuming a Senate majority.

4 Likes

this is one of Leonard Cohen’s “cracks”

2 Likes