Watch the most excited mongoose in the world as it cracks open toy eggs for treats

Originally published at: Watch the most excited mongoose in the world as it cracks open toy eggs for treats | Boing Boing

10 Likes

It’s interesting that they are using toy eggs for the treats – monogooses naturally like to steal eggs from birds and reptiles, so it makes sense, but I wouldn’t have guessed that their instincts would necessarily recognize plastic eggs as eggs.

6 Likes

Mongoose enrichment!

8 Likes

I’d be willing to bet it’s kitty kibble, or some other cat treat.

8 Likes

Phase I of the experiment was more of a failure. Mongooses opened the plastic eggs only to find pantyhose.

14 Likes

What really struck me was the technique they’ve developed for opening a slippery plastic shell; flicking it hard between their back legs into something solid so the egg pops open. How on earth did thy work that out!
Like weasels, otters and other mustelids, they seem to hame a highly developed sense of fun!

7 Likes

I can imagine the lack of sheer delight…

14 Likes

They were thinking, “where’s my friggin’ toy! I was expecting a toy!”
04052012_0405_hires1

10 Likes

hooked on plastics

4 Likes

Long snappers for the Portland Mongeese.

10 Likes

ive got a “puzzle” ball that holds treats for my cat which he bats around. pretty frequently they all come out at once tho – which he loves :heart_eyes_cat: , but not me. :crying_cat_face:

now i wanna try some easter eggs. :cat2:

10 Likes

But on a positive note, they were apparently cinnamon flavored.

5 Likes

I will not be a mongoose pleasure Denier.

9 Likes

Don’t try supplying these eggs to a human eatery. Even Guy Fieri would blanch at the prospect. Okay, more salsa…

2 Likes

The response was definitely medi-ochre.

4 Likes

With real eggs.

7 Likes

The Oregon Zoo mentions this on the video’s page:

In the wild, dwarf mongooses open eggs by launching them through their legs with their forepaws. Hut hut hike!

3 Likes

If you got a problem with Mongooses, then you’ve got a problem with me and I suggest you let that marinate.

1 Like

I’d assumed they were just applying the same technique they would with a real egg in the wild, but it’s nice to have video evidence of it.

2 Likes

Maybe the zoo could ferret out some more of those.

1 Like