Female mongooses will start a war to get sex

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/12/female-mongooses-will-start-a-war-to-get-sex.html

4 Likes

This is like opposite Lysistrata…

22 Likes

My wife and I are now telling each other a story about this in pretend mongoose voices, which sound strangely… French? I don’t know, it’s weird, but we’re going with it.

14 Likes

I still want the plural to be “mongeese”

15 Likes

It actually is (or mongooses), thought it’s “non-standard”! Some days are good days!

12 Likes

Helen of Troy?

4 Likes

Having never actually watched the show, this sounds like every episode of The Bachelor.

From now on, I’ll be using the term “mongoose war” for certain alcohol fueled incidences at bars and clubs.

9 Likes

Mongeese of Troy?

12 Likes

Paging Rikki Tikki Tavi

13 Likes

I forgot Chuck Jones made that one. And that it involved so much twerking.

8 Likes

I’m pretty sure he’s krumpin’, not twerkin’.

6 Likes

I normally think of krumpin’ as involving more upper body movement, but maybe the baring-of-teeth part counts.

2 Likes

It’s not about which body parts are in motion, it’s about intent:

Krumpin is hyper-aggressive and can be mistaken for hostility, whereas twerkin is supposed be to something akin a sexual invitation, originally stemming from ‘winding.’

10 Likes

Sounds like mongooses may not make a distinction between “sexual invitation” and “aggressive incitement of hostilities…”

3 Likes

Fair point; gives new meaning to “love and war.”

(But I’m still right about the difference between twerkin & krumpin.)

12 Likes

I’ll bet a certain lobster-loving Social Darwinist is wishing he had heard about mongoose mating wars before hitching his wagon to crustaceans.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t fit with his narrative, since the female is the aggressor, and he firmly believes that men are all aggressive about sex, while women are compliant…

7 Likes

Excellent point.

3 Likes

Consider the perspective of the females. They just want to have their pups fathered by someone who isn’t a cousin. But those male cousins insist on following along, and getting into fights with the other guys. Who’s responsible for the ‘atrocity’?

6 Likes

Was this the herpestidae that launch’d a thousand ships,
And burnt the topless towers of Ilium?
– Who’s on Faust?

1 Like