Watch: the peregrine falcons of UC Berkeley, a love story

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/07/watch-the-peregrine-falcons-of-uc-berkeley-a-love-story.html

4 Likes

Grinnell: Hey baby, I brought you half a pigeon.
Annie: Tsk, a real falcon brings his lady a fresh squirrel. Now GTFO of my nest.

3 Likes

My library has had falcons nesting on a covered ledge for over a decade.

4 Likes

One of the things that differentiates birds like the peregrine falcon from hawks and eagles is that falcons primarily hunt other birds. That’s why they have to be so damn fast and maneuverable—they’re built for air-to-air combat.

Though now that I’m thinking of it I’d really love to see a peregrine falcon take down a flying squirrel.

6 Likes

8 Likes

You monster.

What did sugar gliders ever do to you?

4 Likes

DH used to live in Boston, and there was a pair of peregrines nesting on the upper ledges of their building. Used to see a pigeon bumbling along, then a blur and a poof of feathers, and you would know another peregrine had dinner.

3 Likes

Yup the former Washington Mutual Tower in downtown Seattle has a long-standing nesting pair and falcon-cam.

1 Like

Sugar gliders are marsupials, so despite their squirrely appearance they are actually more distantly related to flying squirrels than you or I are.

Kind of like how bats are more closely related to dolphins than Tasmanian Tigers were related to tigers. Evolution goes off on some weird-ass tangents.

4 Likes

That does not answer the question, though…

2 Likes

Here’s another live cam of a falcon nest in a skyscraper in Melbourne Australia. Mother and chicks under her:

1 Like

The stench round a falcon nest, especially with juveniles, is quite something.

1 Like

Back when I was throwing papers for a living, I drove by a falcon sitting stunned by the side of the road. I called it in & this was the dialogue:
Me: Hi, I want to report a peregrine falcon on the side of the 1200 block of Campbell Rd.
Dispatcher: And what year & color is it?
Me: Err, this is a bird of prey, ma’am.
Dispatcher: Oh.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.