Watch the runway prisoner swap of Brittney Griner for Viktor "Merchant of Death" Bout (video)

Originally published at: Watch the runway prisoner swap of Brittney Griner for Viktor "Merchant of Death" Bout (video) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Why do folks find this so interesting? Not the exchange itself, but the video of the exchange?

All Right Ghosts GIF by CBS

4 Likes

It’s so they can leave lying, homophobic, merkin von bankrupt-ian, misogynist, racist comments on the video.

7 Likes

Prisoner swaps are something that happens in the movies all the time but this is the first time I’ve seen a real one. Kind of disappointing though; I was hoping Viktor would pull off a mask to reveal he is really Tom Cruise and then shoot all the Russians.

13 Likes

There is a… certain kind of person who is very, very, very angry about Griner’s release.

7 Likes

I guess so! A lotta the comments even call her a drug dealer, so I figure those are the most obvious russian trollbots.

6 Likes

If it had been a movie, shots would have rung out from offscreen, killing one of the prisoners. A gun battle would ensue.

4 Likes

All the major media seem determined to make this about Paul Whelan. For every brief mention of Brittney Griner’s release there’s ten minutes of “How about Paul Whelan” commentary, interviews with Whelan’s family, etc. I’ve seen outraged posts accompanied by Whelan’s Marine Corps glamour photo, wailing about how this “hero” has been betrayed by his country.

Interesting that this heroic Trumper was kicked out of the Marines for “attempted larceny, three specifications of dereliction of duty, making a false official statement, wrongfully using another’s social security number, and ten specifications of making and uttering checks without having sufficient funds in his account for payment” before becoming director of global security at BorgWarner. I don’t recall Brittney Griner having a similar record.

The different media treatment can’t have anything to do with Whelan being a macho white guy and Griner a gay Black woman? Naw, that can’t be it.

16 Likes

Checks out.
They know their own.

5 Likes

I think it’s the desire for confirmation, really. Like another Boinger wrote, this sort of thing seems like it only exists in fiction, so it does spark curiosity.

2 Likes

…except for Karla’s surrender in Smiley’s People (1982), the sequel to the BBC’s 1979 Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.