Watch: The Saudi prince who's challenging video game stereotypes

[Permalink]

1 Like

Girlsā€™ revolution? In a nation where women canā€™t even drive?

4 Likes

I was tempted to post something similarly snide about ā€œAh, yes, ā€˜Saudi Princeā€™ seeks to challenge stereotypesā€¦ā€

However, on consideration, it seemed unfair. Being born a prince is certainly an excellent choice as far as I-canā€™t-control-where-I-was-born! outcomes go; but itā€™s as true on the upside as it is anywhere else. The Saudi aristocracy as an institution are reactionary as hell; but J. Random Prince probably doesnā€™t have much control over that.

Iā€™d be similarly inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt RE: womenā€™s rights, or lack thereof. His work may only qualify as ā€˜well intentioned and hopefully helpfulā€™ rather than ā€˜martyr for social justiceā€™; but as long as he refrains from being the first and claiming to be the second, heā€™s still scoring above average.

I would say that we need to be alert to cosmetic talk-is-cheap measures being passed off as actual reform, and to people in positions of privilege overstating the nobility of merely doing the right thing; but that doesnā€™t mean dismissing the work of those who do.

There is a big difference between ā€˜activist risks imprisonment/torture/disappearance to resist $INJUSTICEā€™ and ā€˜Guy does good, seeks to improve situationā€™; but as long as the latter refrains from demanding the accolades due to the former, heā€™s still a good sort.

3 Likes

I mean, it looks like the girls in his game can drive - theyā€™ve got a car (and rocket launchers!).

Iā€™m suspicious of a male game dev claiming to fight for womenā€™s representation (I mean, why arenā€™t there WOMEN game devs doing that?), but pushing the needle even slightly gives others the brain-space to push it more in the future, Iā€™d hope.

1 Like

I was of two minds, posting that. Thinking itā€™s a ludicrous irony is snide. But maybe heā€™s being damn courageous, and is not long for this world.

1 Like

Indeed. Once weā€™ve established that he is a (albeit minor) force for good and he isnā€™t personally guilty of any wrongdoing, itā€™s a matter of ā€œprivilegeā€.
This is not ā€œwhite privilegeā€ or ā€œmale privilegeā€, this is ā€œSaudi princedom privilegeā€ which includes ā€œmale privilegeā€ for free (with an added feminists-are-illegal-at-home bonus), and can beat your average white privilege any time.

Do we expect him to do anything special about that privilege?

Well, heā€™s not a direct descendant of King Abdulaziz, but rather the great-grandson of his brother, so I have no idea how high the stipend that he receives just for being a prince is. The least I expect him to do is to donate that ill-gotten money to some worthy cause. Anyone know if heā€™s already doing that?

A good indication of how much progress they had made: Two Hollywood thrillers had their plots changed for just this reason.

Tom Clancyā€™s book ā€œThe Sum of All Fearsā€ dealt with Arab nationalists trying to start a nuclear war between the US and Russia. For the movie the villains were changed to modern-day Nazis. The Arnold Schwarzenegger movie ā€œCollateral Damageā€ had the villains changed from Arab terrorists to Columbian drug lords. (Stereotyping Germans and Columbians is acceptable.)

Both were filmed just before 9/11, with release after.

Personally I think one of the best ways to gain understanding of other people is to try to think deeply about their situation and try to imagine what it is like. To say you are suspicious of someone trying to increase that understanding and help a situation is, at least in my opinion, incredibly divisive. Iā€™m male, but I donā€™t think that means I should not try to work towards equality and womenā€™s rights. Instead of being suspicious, and especially saying you are suspicious, try applauding the effort at least (while calling for more game devs of every stripe).

Hereā€™s an interview, seems iā€™d enjoy sharing a beer with the guy. Certainly not into running head-on into bullets but seems heā€™s intent on changing minds a little, step by step during his lifetime which is not the worst ā€œlife choiceā€ when youā€™re born with moneyā€¦ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoG-GLRGNNk

I doubt it. Heā€™s addressing ā€œnegative stereotypesā€, not actual problems for people in Saudi Arabia. I know that those negative stereotypes exist, but frankly, theyā€™re the least of Saudi Arabiaā€™s problems, and Saudi Arabia is very key to imposing a lot of those negative stereotypes onto surrounding countries.

Itā€™s remarkable how the problems of a shitty, hateful culture seem to fade away when youā€™re extremely rich.

1 Like

You can stop with the strawmen any day now.

Well, they do have the worst football program in the Ivy League. Thatā€™s not a stereotype, thatā€™s just a fact.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.