Watch the trailer for the 2024 remake of Nosferatu

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/25/watch-the-trailer-for-the-2024-remake-of-nosferatu.html

6 Likes

F.W. Murnau’s version has the best behind-the-scenes extras.

18 Likes

Lesser known film producer’s axiom: ‘Dracula’ will be remade until Willem Dafoe has played every major role.

(“he utterly nailed ‘Lucy’”)

18 Likes

That looks pretty good!

7 Likes

I like now “Nosferatu” was originally just a way of side-stepping the still existent “Dracula” copyright, to make a mockbuster Dracula movie, but now the name is an indicator that it’s going to be a classy Dracula movie (that follows the original story and is a horror story), not a cheesy Dracula movie (that goes off in random directions and might be an action flick).

15 Likes

Is anyone else slightly annoyed that the trailer is a shot by shot remake of key images from the Werner Herzog classic? Somehow I doubt that the current cast will match the performances of Klaus Kinski, Bruno Ganz and Isabella Adjani.

3 Likes

I love me some Herzog, but his 1979 film was a remake of a 1921 ripoff of an 1897 Bram Stoker novel that was basically an adaptation of an 1819 John William Polidori story which itself was taken from groundwork by Lord Byron, so it’s kind of silly to get too worked up about others borrowing ideas from his version.

18 Likes

I thought the Herzog film, while very atmospheric, was also pretty boring.

3 Likes

Just wait 'til you see my new all action, vampire, street racing blockbuster; “NOSferatu: The Need 4 Feed”!

18 Likes

LOVE this movie, and was pleased to see Dafoe is in the new one, too. Long live Count Orlock (okay, if “until dawn” is a long time).

4 Likes

With the vast range of knowledge here I’m surprised no one has cited the 2002 appearance of Nosferatu in the aptly titled Graveyard Shift.

nosferatu_whip_pan.0

13 Likes

I saw Herzog’s film in the cinema, in a double bill with “Wizards”. We stayed in our seats to watch “Wizards” a second time, but didn’t hang around for the next showing of “Nosferatu”. That said, “Nosferatu” was a lovely looking film.

5 Likes

It’s not at all boring when on Psilocybe cubensis, I assure you!

6 Likes

outstanding observation.

We need a Dracula vs Nosferatu movie where all Dracula’s scenes are filmed in “saturated BBC camp” and all Nosferatu scenes are filmed in “silver halide cinematographer’s delight” and it comes together for a last act filmed in “hammer horror can only afford 16mm now” 70s vision.

14 Likes

Gorgeous!!!

4 Likes

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

3 Likes

Ah, yes, the classic 1970s’ Hammer “Dracula” films.

hqdefault

8 Likes

“Yes, we have Nosferatu! We have Nosferatu today!”

images (7)

9 Likes

What a lovely way to spend the holiday- can’t wait to see this.

3 Likes

“… quite a tradition to live up to…”

Everyone knows the tale, but because this is an Egger film, I’d say there’s high expectation that “tradition” be twisted in some way, re-imagined and surpassed. His other films benefited from being the kinds of myths/legends that were wide open to creativity, and thereby original stories and scripts that allowed Egger’s films to be very much his alone. So, I’m very curious as to how he’ll “live up to” tradition while delighting the Nosferatu/Dracula cognoscenti and surprising everyone else. We know he can create atmosphere, but then there’s the story. FD: Even if it’s an unqualified flop… I’d still watch it out of curiosity, hoping for any Egger moments.

3 Likes