Watch this 1/13 scale remote control Airbus A380 fly

You misunderstand the RC hobby. My brother was into RC boats, cars, airplanes. Fixing the damage is part of the “fun”. I once watched one of his gas-powered boats lose radio control, end up in the bull rushes, with the engine going faster and faster until poof it stopped and emitted a puff of smoke.

He was smiling the whole time.

10 Likes

How many of those little bottles of Testors did you think it took to paint that thing?

8 Likes

Watch out for the 1/13th scale Karen seated in B40.

10 Likes

(I was hoping they’d demoed the operation of the control surfaces.)

Big scale r/c can be incredibly convincing and mistaken for full scale when done up right and flown “realistically”. Pretty much ever since 2001’s Pearl Harbor and 2004’s The Aviator, more and more the film industry SFX crowd have been moving back to practical effects which include employing large scale a/c. Smart move.

3 Likes

Needs ADS-B.

1 Like

0.25 cents? That’s the retail value of a coupon isn’t it?

0.25 dollars? Now we’re talking!

2 Likes

Similar process, yes, but at 1:21, it’s quite a bit smaller.

1 Like

I think his limitation is the size if his workspace. I’m sure he’d do 1:13 if he had the space!

3 Likes
2 Likes

You should check out helium large scale r/c aircraft, flown indoors. Safer… and kind of a scale look to the velocities.

8 Likes

Yeah, that was my reaction too when I heard them and saw the heat shimmer - “ACTUAL TURBINES!?!!”

1 Like

Among space exploration types, it’s called “lithobraking”.

5 Likes

To each his own, but for less cost, time, and effort, you could build a real kit plane to fly.

1 Like

It’s not an accurate model without 1/13th scale lemon-soaked paper napkins.

4 Likes

yes - if you are familiar with the hobby you are used to seeing piston driven ducted fans, even electric ducted fans these days but not for such large models. But actual turbine engines - wow.

1 Like

There is already some overlap between scale models and homebuilt aircraft

6 Likes

Sorry. None available.

2 Likes

List price of a new A380 was $428 million. If this fellow could sell his scale model for 1/13 that he’d have $34M.

2 Likes

It sounds very much the same too during takeoff, that whuushhhh as they blast the engines to 100% :smile:

@lava @David_Guilbeaul
Yea, those are massive turbines too… here was another type I was looking at a few days ago coincidentally…

Their top end one is 30kg thrust, approx double of the ones used on this plane… $6k USD each :exploding_head:

4 Likes

Somebody had to say it :laughing: