Watch this 1/13 scale remote control Airbus A380 fly

Originally published at: Watch this 1/13 scale remote control Airbus A380 fly | Boing Boing

10 Likes

So do I, screams my inner child.

12 Likes

That would be so confusing if it flew by at low altitude when you were driving along.

11 Likes

I continue to be impressed with the ability to pilot these from a fixed point on the ground. I’m certain that if I were to take up the hobby, no matter how much experience I had, I’m going to regularly lose track of my frame of reference and drill the thing into the ground.

21 Likes

That’s the main reason I never got into RC flying things. FPV flying largely does away with that problem, though, so I’m once again tempted to go down the rabbit hole…

8 Likes

I want to sit on top and ride it like Major Kong in Dr. Strangelove.

12 Likes

I miss traveling; the sound of the jet whine made me yearn for freedom!

9 Likes

I’d like to see more info on those tiny turbo fan motors…

10 Likes

What is this, an Airbus for ants? It needs to be at least three times as big.

10 Likes

I bought a soda from a vending machine yesterday — one of those big ones that dispense bottles – and the jackscrew to lift the thing that grabs the bottle made that same sound as the flaps deploying or retracting. I miss flying.

5 Likes

If you’re interested in the build process, this guy built a similar one

6 Likes

That’s one of the reasons why I gave up on the idea of ever flying RC helicopters. Keeping perfect track of the direction of the fuselage with a helicopter that spins on its axis so easily breaks my mind, especially when I see insane levels of skill doing tricks like this one.

9 Likes

2,100 Euros…I think that’s not too bad as these things go. Still, fling ten thousand Euros into the air, probably at the hands of someone other than the builder :smile:
JetsMunt Turbines | M166TS

7 Likes

Is there math for converting the size of a model to what speed you should watch on youtube to make it appear full size when in motion?

This is 1/13 scale and 0.75 speed makes the wobbling taxi motion of the wings look more realistic (once the people in the background aren’t visible with their slow walking). 0.5 speed is way too slow.

The takeoff is impossible to make “real” by slowing down though, since the plane hops with each bump in the runway.

6 Likes
2 Likes

That’s “controlled flight into terrain”.

6 Likes

My inner child wants to get another model jet plane and recreate this:

4 Likes

Unless you are transporting a crowd of hamsters to their vacation destination, this is really just burning carbon credits.

1 Like

I want to sit on top and ride like this plane like it is outside a supermarket and my parents just gave me .25 cents.8cuO2o

10 Likes

I’d share a picture of my scaled-down 737 Max, but unfortunately it crashed,

8 Likes