Watch this artisan make a gorgeous ring with walnut and crushed opal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/19/watch-this-artisan-make-a-gorg.html

3 Likes

Very nice tutorial. I wish I could see what resin he was using to assemble the ring. I was worried that with all the resin he was applying when he was shaping it on the mandrel, he would have a bad time loosening it afterwards.

I made a ring something like that once, but used sheet silver and plexy, then riveted it together, rather than assembling it and turning it to finish.

1 Like

It’s basically a ring made of cyanoacrylate.

It’s got an epoxy liner and some embedded wood, wire and stone, but it’s fundamentally made of superglue. I’m seeing a lot more interesting uses of CA since the spray accelerants have become widely available, especially in woodworking.

Very pretty and probably extremely durable.

2 Likes

Well that was mesmerizing. :slight_smile: I also like the show “How It’s Made” as if that was in any doubt. :wink:

1 Like

Oh, great. Now I want to buy one.

2 Likes

Noice. Might try that myself.

1 Like

If you want some American black walnut, PM me your snail mail address and I’ll send you as much as you’ll pay postage for. :). But I hear your local Aussie wood is pretty nice stuff!

The eucalypt stuff is nice to look at, but a bugger to work with; hard and full of flaws.

(red gum)

Most of the time I work with weed timber; camphor laurel, african olive, etc.

I recently had some nice bits of spalted acacia, though:

6 Likes

Gorgeous stuff, thanks for sharing it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.