Watch this artist draw a $20 bill with Princess Leia on it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/17/watch-this-artist-draw-a-20-b.html

2 Likes

Definite improvement. I always thought it odd that the POTUS known for his Bank War wound up on the twenty.

3 Likes

I like it. Can we get one with General Leia as well?

6 Likes

That is really good.

How on earth do they just start drawing in a corner with out mapping it all out first? Was there a projection used and just turned off for the time lapse?

I just paid an artist for a commission. Once I get it in my hands I will share. I don’t want to jinx it.

2 Likes

We still need the Tubman $20.

3 Likes

How can someone be so absurdly talented at drawing and visual art but somehow the Leia image looks off? I guess faces are just that much harder than some other things?

The shading and such is neither anything like the style of the original currency nor is it great capture for the character

I’m guessing rendering images by hand isn’t your personal forte, then?

As an artist, one of the most frustrating aspects about creating is being able to nail almost every aspect of a piece, only to get a single angle or a stroke incorrect. That goes double for any kind of graphic portraiture.

It’s not only possible, it’s quite common…

4 Likes

Indeed, I literally meant it as an innocent question. My standard expectation would be to have all sorts of things more off than this image and still be extremely impressed. So, it’s interesting to see the insane impressive high-standard but have part of it really stick out as less ideal.

How much is it my own sensitivity to faces? I.e. that the other stuff is similarly imperfect but I can’t tell. Or how much is it that the artist is more skilled at the other parts compared to the face? Or is it that the one change to the graphic (changing the character in this case) simply requires more work to get right than it does to draw the rest of the bill as it normally looks?

“A portrait is a painting with something wrong with the mouth.”
and
“Every time I paint a portrait I lose a friend.”
John Singer Sargent.

Faces are hard, and working from photo reference, weirdly enough, can make it even harder, and that gotch-eyed skew-lipped look of the Princess is familiar to anyone who ever tried to do a pen-and-ink portrait from a photo, especially a color photo. Translating smoothly-shaded color into tight lines and shapes is a real challenge. But look how good the artist is at the photo-real folds and crinkles, and how precise the “printing” is on the rest of the bill! You can’t be good at EVerything. And yeah, maybe there is, not trickery, but some part of the process which is not made completely apparent in the video. Maybe they have the whole thing roughed out in grey pencil too light to show – Bob Kane used to do that when pretending to be able to draw Batman on TV. Or, more likely, the artist is referencing a fairly tight preliminary version of the piece, same size, just off-screen. Or maybe she’s just that good.

1 Like

If you watch the Mia movie you can see some of the fine pencil lines (the shorts and legs portion), and in her other videos on YouTube, I would guess that she has planned out the final composition and made several sketches (rough and fully rendered) well before she starts the final piece.

I agree, until you look at the close-up in the video where you can see the “engraving” treatment that she has applied. Like so many artworks, they would be far more impressive IRL than within the limits of social media.

Oh that would make sense. Yeah, other wise if I start doing fine detail with out mapping it out first, I end up with things way off… but nice details!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.