Watch this delightful short film about a Chinese immigrant in Ireland

Originally published at: Watch this delightful short film about a Chinese immigrant in Ireland | Boing Boing

6 Likes

“An bhfuil tusa ag labhairt liomsa? An bhfuil tusa ag labhairt liomsa?”

5 Likes

5 Likes

I don’t know if it’s meaningful, but I just noticed that in the Youth Hostel there’s a sign for Tir na nÓg Tours, which is the same tour company which pulls into Máire Uí Mhuirithe’s hotel at the end.

2 Likes

I assume they were just a tour company operating at the time.

2 Likes

It could just be co-incidence. You’ve got to assume there’s more than one tour company in Ireland, though.

2 Likes

More than one tour company? That’s some notions on you there!

3 Likes

I wonder if the writer intended a wee smirr of irony relating the impact of British imperialism on the Irish language to similar behavior by the government of China.

1 Like

This is used all over the place. Tour companies, shops, clothing, dentist offices, knickknacks.

Mar shampla:

2 Likes

Is this where the Mystic Knights come from

2 Likes

Video link for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqYtG9BNhfM

4 Likes

Fun fact, Lisa Dwan who played Deirdre in Mystic Knights is now considered one of the foremost contemporary interpreters of Samuel Beckett’s plays.

2 Likes

In the spring of 2000 I took a fun 2-week solo bike trip around Ireland, starting in Shannon and following the coast South. I definitely passed through a lot of small towns and remote areas where Irish was widely spoken as the primary language, although of course everyone except maybe a few very old, very isolated farmers or fishermen spoke good english as well. Later, traveling through County Cork led to a few tricky conversations because, while technically it was in english, some of those folks speak with an extremely thick local accent that even other Irish folks can have trouble with.

Didn’t get to spend much time in Dublin though. All the hostels and even the more expensive hotels were fully booked when I arrived there so I eventually just bought a tent and biked to the nearest campground about 20 miles away.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.