Watch this douchey dealer training video for the 1989 Chevy Celebrity

The takeaway: JB cheats at golf!

2 Likes

I kept expecting Rodney Dangerfield to show up.

3 Likes

Those were all my favorites. But especially the 300 TD wagon.

ps: But I drove the Citation. Upwards of 365,000 kms!

2 Likes

Now we know from where the character of Shooter McGavin was derived.

This was the era in which Chevy really hit the skids. I got a Cavalier as a rental a couple of times, and I remember thinking: why on earth would anybody buy this instead of a Toyota or a Honda, unless they had fond memories of what GM used to be and were still somehow loyal?

2 Likes

Eddie thinks the Celebrity is too conservative?

Is he out of his fucking mind??!?!

Just let me at that son of a bitch!!!

1 Like

And it was determined in a previous thread that unions are to blame.

1 Like

You do know that is pure luck.

2 Likes

My first car was a Citation. Man, what a… car.

My favorite feature was the cruise control. For some reason – probably the fact that the speedometer cable was broken – when I put it into cruise control it wouldn’t adjust to constant speed; it would kick into constant acceleration. Seriously.

Lots of fun to freak your friends out!

I also loved the sideways mounted radio, largely because it didn’t have a sideways faceplate.

2 Likes

a 1989 Celebrity was my first car (in 1995). Unfortunately, I didn’t have a tape deck. I had to eventually get one of those FM adapters for my discman so I could play music through the radio.

The car was in extremely good condition and ran well. But unfortunately for the car, I was not a successful businessman but a reckless teenager and drove it like a moron. The 4 cylinder engine had something like 140 horsepower. it was seriously underpowered so if I wanted any speed it was to the floor with the accelerator. Eventually I threw a rod through the block. A rebuilt engine to replace it cost $2500. that’s like a brake job and annual maintenance on my current car.

2 Likes

SIDEWAYS RADIO! I was just recently talking about that. It was like GM’s early attempts at a proprietary music format, and look where it got them. Virtually bankrupt!

My dad got around this by adding an aftermarket cassette deck bolted below the dash. He also hacked daylight running lights, and filled the dummy middle tail light with an actual bulb for twice the brake lights. That was my favourite customized feature.

Oh, and I shot a tribute ‘TV commercial’ for my Citation II on 8mm film, transferred to VHS video, and then edited it in QuickTime. There are artifacts from all three stages.

https://youtu.be/JKtklxz-nuw

3 Likes

Oh, and Youtube recommends this video:

https://youtu.be/W1w7c1Czhy4

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.