Watch this gentleman get caught trying to fake a Skype job interview

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/08/watch-this-gentleman-get-caugh.html

3 Likes

The things you have to do to get a job nowadays…

6 Likes

The good news is that the interviewee can use this video as proof that he has what it takes to be a call centre scammer.

11 Likes

sad and embarassing

4 Likes

Kinda lame to post video of it. I feel for the guy. As someone who manages an offshore team in India, there are times when the language barrier makes it really tough, even though the person has solid programming skills.

5 Likes

Sorry and thank you.

Thank him for what? Wasting the interviewers time and trying to cheat?

1 Like

The interviewer makes it clear that the position isn’t just for a codemonkey who will do what he’s told, but rather for a senior manager who’s going to need good communication skills. This clown can’t even fake it convincingly, and a language barrier is the least of his problems. So no, I don’t have sympathy for him and am fine with the interviewer posting the video as a small compensation for the incompetent cheat treating him like an idiot and wasting his time.

9 Likes

Hence the advice to at least practice before taking the interview.

3 Likes

14 Likes

Suggestion: next time just use a hand puppet, it’s easy to make their moving mouths look like any kind of vowel sound, you just need to get the rhythm right (cue Sesame Street rap video mashup/edit.)

4 Likes

Just use bigger microphone that completely obscures your mouth.

9 Likes

Apparently this is a trend. An office mate recently conducted an interview very much like this one, with very similar result.

6 Likes

It’s certain that out in cyber-land on some distant hard drive is a video of Orange Cheat-o doing this sort of thing in Russian.

Although not quite ranking with this level of audacity, I used to run into the bait and switch with offshore based consulting companies where the person being interviewed was most definitely not the person who showed up to the office for the gig.

It would become very obvious after a short bit that the person onsite was pretty much unqualified and was just a satellite employee sending their work back nightly to the mother-ship to be completed by the actual developers. They were basically just a warm body there to bill hours.

I recall pointing out some problems with one gentleman’s non-functional code and his response was “There are many ways to do something”. I just wanted the way that worked.

Would have been really happy if management had taken my advice and just let me teach a couple of our more technically savvy operations people to code. They already knew the systems and processes, and would have been so happy to get off of the trouble ticket grind.

7 Likes

Bait and switch is a pattern that we’ve seen since at least the 90’s. And the folks I first heard about it from probably encountered it in the 80’s or 70’s…

You see it most in expensive consultancies. They often have one or two true experts in a field. And then they have everyone else. The experts write “recipes” for everyone else to follow.

During the pre-sales and start of the project, you get The Expert. But as soon as is possible, you get The Others who do the actual implementation.

The problems then start when they run into something that’s neither in The Plan (which you agreed with The Expert), or not adequately explained in the expert’s recipes.

1 Like

Right, he didn’t have the skills needed for the job and tried for it anyway. But humiliating the guy by posting the video is cruel, not to mention a violation of the privacy of the interviewee and of the interviewer’s company’s privacy policies, no doubt.

…by cheating in a particularly buffoonish way. I don’t think he’d get any more sympathy from a competent lawyer than from most of us if he tried to sue for this.

2 Likes

One life advice my time in North America has given me is “fake it till you make it”. It has served me well.

All kidding aside :slightly_smiling_face: , I assume that strategy does not (in a right and positive sense) work for everyone; “make it” may not necessarily mean eventually reaching an acceptable level of competency in a reasonable amount of time and fitting well into a position. It can (as I’ve experienced a couple of times) involve others having to hold up Joe Schmo who ‘makes it’ by flitting among fellow employees and having them work up solutions, and then stamping his/her own name to the solution. That is a dangerous (and unethical) strategy that can affect an entire organization; having others do your work denies the helpers/enablers the “big picture” of the task they’re helping with, which – compounded by Joe Schmo’s incompetency – can lead to serious personnel and product safety issues.

1 Like

I couldn’t finish watching it due to secondhand embarrassment. :fearful:

1 Like