Watch this glassblower create wine glasses with air-twist pattern stems

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/23/watch-this-glassblower-create-wine-glasses-with-air-twist-pattern-stems.html

2 Likes

Watching artists blow glass has been the most calming thing for me in the past week or so. Corning museum of glass has a huge YouTube channel and days of content to just zen out and appreciate the skills of great artists. 10/10 would recommend, did not receive bobcat

3 Likes

Always with the right-handed helical hegemony. We sou-paws demand representation! (“DNA bud. you’ve lost.” “Oh yeah? where would you be without collagen? …heap onna floor i tell you whut”)

1 Like

I’ve been to that museum, as it’s a stop on the way to the BMW fingerlakes motorcycle rally, and seen these demos live. They’re excellent.

The whole museum is really beautiful, they have I believe the largest on display collection of ancient glass in the world, actual glass Roman goblets on display. It’s really a must see if you are anywhere near there.

I found the work of my favorite glass artisans there, Stanislav Libensky and Jaroslava Brychtova

3 Likes

Fascinating (if maybe a bit warm) to watch IRL.

And then there are also the glassblowers who specialize in technical glass. I used to know one who was staff at the local uni and did custom stuff for the chemistry department. Amazing precision. (He also made stuff like ornaments and vases out of the scraps for fun.)

1 Like

Oh I’d kill to befriend a scientific glassblower, or just get to pick their brain for an evening.

I have a major project in mind that uses a lot of scientific glassware and hydroponics. No, it ISNT weed related. Seriously.

3 Likes

They could also make the glass for your watch project, maybe.

Hydroponics for some sort of indoor vertical farming?

1 Like

An indoor hanging herb garden of cooking herbs, all in scientific glassware of random makes, connected with glass tube, hanging from a blacksmithed trellis I forge and cover my walls and ceiling with. Watering controlled by an arduino and peristaltic pumps.

Kind of like a mad scientist bio wall. I’ve had the idea now for many years and I’ve never seen anything like it but I can imagine what it looks like.

For the watch- I’m going to hand cut a sapphire blank for that.

1 Like

:sob:

My usual studio remains … closed …

:sob:

But yeah, go ahead, be insensitive, show us Corning doing their thing…

I’m surprised they have a working protocol in place, actually… must… learn… more…

51e95b01-39ac-48b1-a201-b4004029ebb8_text_hi

1 Like

Yeah, that museum was a highlight of my trip to a few Finger Lakes wineries and local attractions. I hope to visit the area again post-pandemic, but earlier in the year. My visit overlapped Halloween, and it snowed. :cold_face:

1 Like

Stop at Fingerlakes Distilling above Watkins Glen. Their MacKenzie Rye is 2nd best I’ve ever had. Everything else they make is lackluster, though.

1 Like

Perhaps you can harvest your results and use in a dish to feed the ‘Cloaca’ an eating and shitting art piece:

I appreciate the craftsmanship and aesthetic of that, but I’ll pass on the subject matter

1 Like

Years ago, I got a chance to try glassblowing at a small glass shop; they heated the glass up, and then you could blow it yourself into a balloony-shaped bottle or vase. It was amazingly cool, even if it was basically the simplest thing you could do with glass and a blowpipe, and I treasure the lovely blue glass vase I made. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.