Watch this impressive c.1929 footage of construction workers atop NYC's Chrysler Building

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/17/watch-this-impressive-c-1929-f.html

5 Likes

Surprisingly there were no deaths in the construction of the Chrysler Building despite the lack of any worn safety equipment in this video. Walter Chrysler lauded this achievement, saying, “It is the first time that any structure in the world has reached such a height, yet the entire steel construction was accomplished without loss of life”

I’m thankful for unions and lawmakers who would eventually prioritize human life over profit.

22 Likes

And many of those “walking iron” in those days were Mohawk Indians from the nearby Kahnawake reservation. Meaning this nation was literally built on the backs of the repressed and those marginalized by the rest of society. A heady reminder to those who take such things for granted.

21 Likes

It’s amazing how well the gargoyles have held up over the decades despite being nothing more than brazed together sheets of stainless steel. Seems like a good hail storm would dent them up beyond recognition.

5 Likes

Butterflies…butterflies. I enjoy heights and climbing, but even on film it gives me the willies.

7 Likes

There is a stereotype, though I am not sure it is anything more than that, that Natives Americans aren’t scared of heights and known for working jobs that require it. Anecdotally we have your example, and many more where they worked in construction, as well as many of them working as linemen. (including a friend I went to the JUCO I attended.)

I did not inherit this from my ancestors - quite the opposite - it is probably my biggest phobia.

6 Likes

Yeah I just skimmed it. I can’t even on film…

2 Likes

Even navigating heights in video games makes my palms sweat. :blush:

Fear of heights is one of the most reasonable phobias.

5 Likes

True, but it often manifests in me irrationally. Like at the mall - I could just fall over or jump down to the second level. Yes, but WHY would that happen. Stupid brain.

If things are sturdy and secure then I have a much better reaction - like those big ass ladders that are more or less mobile stairs. Or I FINALLY made it to the Liberty Memorial in KC which you can go to the top of and look at the city. It is 217 ft high and yet I was ok.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Especially tough when you have a bit of L’Appel du Vide .

1 Like

It’s a stereotype that has morphed into tradition. Mostly born out by the fact that the most dangerous work is also the highest paid.

Mohawk ironworkers have preserved that rare skill for generations. Kyle Karonhiaktatie Beauvais, a sixth-generation Mohawk Ironworker, told the Smithsonian in 2002, “A lot of people think Mohawks aren’t afraid of heights; that’s not true. We have as much fear as the next guy. The difference is that we deal with it better. We also have the experience of the old timers to follow and the responsibility to lead the younger guys. There’s pride in walking iron.”

7 Likes

watching that guy on the beam 1000ft above the ground makes my testicles ascend into my body.

3 Likes

I’m not sure the Mohawks thing of this as exploitation. They seem proud that they did that iron work, and it’s multi-generational. My impression is that it’s hard to find people at Kahnawake who don’t have some relative who did iron work.

Maybe it paid better, but I’ve never seen it suggested that they were paid less for being Mohawk

Also, when the World Trade Centre went down, many went down to help clear the wreckage, probably some had relatives who put it up.

3 Likes

Quite a few of the ‘workers’ in this video were wearing ties, I wonder if at least some of the shots were set up with management or union bosses. (During the fitting of the gargoyle, a guy in a tie who is having real trouble getting stuff into place gets transformed at some point into someone who looks more the part.)

1 Like

I didn’t see anything on that job site that would pass an OSHA inspection these days. You can’t use any kind of scaffolding for work in NYC these days without having a card showing that you went through the proper training.

1 Like

People tended to “dress up” back then. I was showing Elizabeth Gurley Flynn’s “Rebel Girl” to someone, and he commented on everyone in the photos wearing hats and suits.

So what they are wearing may not indicate much by our standards.

1 Like

I guarantee this one is giant ape proof.

3 Likes

Sure, but construction workers didn’t usually wear ties while constructing. Dangerous and constricting. When I was a kid I was fascinated by skyscraper construction and used to hang out sometimes at the Chicago Architecture Foundation; what I remember from those photos was overalls and wifebeaters. Maybe buttondowns/workshirts in later years.

1 Like