Watch this impressive demonstration of bamboo basketmaking

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/04/24/watch-this-impressive-demonstr.html

3 Likes

Impressive is too tame a word to describe the incredible craftsmanship and precision of this work.

And what an amazing and versatile material.

This is one of the coolest things I’ve seen on BB. Thanks!

4 Likes

All those Japanese tools made the maker in me start drooling.

3 Likes

These videos are really great,and that bamboo work definitely falls under the heading of wonderful things. I saw examples of that kind of work when I was living in Asia, but never really thought about how those pieces were made. Some of the steps that the artisans followed reminded me of what I used to do as a hand bookbinder, as well as a jewelry maker.

I fell in love with basketry when I was a kid, and this is like basket weaving taken to an exalted level, or a very elegant and advanced form of toothpick art. After watching these videos I think I have a pretty good idea of how bamboo skewers might be made.

I wonder if there are kits available to assemble some of these pieces, without having to start with a chainsaw in a bamboo grove. :grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.