Watch this incredible real-life Jaws moment

Florida might require you to smoke it and rob a liquor store for all I know.

Baby its probably just routine, not too many new sharks make it to adulthood. Generally conservation departments want them reported in case its the remains of illegal fishing, or signs of potential environmental disaster and disease that needs to be dealt with.

And shark wise it can be pretty strict. In NY you’re supposed to report any contact with a great white. Mostly for reasons of SCIENCE. But also for reasons of this:

http://www.27east.com/mobile/article.cfm//Montauk/285051/Great-white-shark-confiscated-by-federal-agents-at-Star-Island-Shark-Tournament

Drunk assholes couldn’t tell the difference between a mako and a huge great white. Came screaming into the docks with a dead endangered species mounted on the nose of the boat screaming “we won!”.

Heard they had used an unlicensed firearm to finish it off too.

1 Like

Surprised that was NY. That sounds much more like Florida-man.

1 Like

Well they were purportedly wealthy financial types who opted to sign up on a lark by renting a boat and crewing it themselves because all the charter crews were either booked or participating themselves. The way I heard it they both left late and returned late. So even if they had caught a big mako it wouldn’t have counted, apparently they missed the weigh in. My brother was out there fishing striper and checking out the weigh in. Says people were surprised they made it back at all since they didn’t seem to know how to run the boat.

If it was Florida it would have been a poor person with a swamp boat.

1 Like

I think everyone has said what I was going to say, the shark ate the plastic chum bag that drew it there and the shark and the ocean need more plastic, and humans suck, they organize tournaments to kill rare things for fun and profit, and beyond that, some of these people can’t even fing identify what kind of shark they’re supposed to be killing for fun and profit (it’s best to know what’s disappearing so you can not kill it/possibly save it). So.

All that’s left to be done here then is point out the unique last name of the boat’s owner, the captain if you will of the “Big Nutz Required II”*:

And as this is my second FT-related clip post in two days, I’d like to collect on the free “Mass Said by Father Dougal” prize as set out in the contest rules. The “No religious content” option, pls.

*Source: https://gothamist.com/2019/06/18/nj_fisherbros_lure_shark_to_their_b.php

giphy%20(47)

3 Likes

Obligs:

3 Likes

Apparently Robert Shaw took an extreme method acting approach to that scene (i.e. he was falling-down drunk).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.