Watch this insane video of people tunbling down a dangerously steep hill to try to catch a cheese wheel

Double Gloucester is a very nice cheese so almost worth the danger. You could buy a 9 pound wheel of it for around USD$100 but where’s the fun in that?

3 Likes

I’ll run with my mouth open, then.

5 Likes

I can’t find the link now but I believe the winner for a few years has been a teenager happy mutant lady who rocks!

3 Likes

She’s in that We Are the Champions doc posted up top. She’s awesome.

3 Likes

Peak entertainment. It’s all downhill from here.

3 Likes

Don’t go casking aspersions at others love of the game.

2 Likes

Little-known fact: that apparently random owl hooting at the end is actually a psychopomp, come to carry away the souls of the fallen.

4 Likes

It’s a British synonym for “rollimg”.

9 Likes

I personally like to shoe horn Richard Cheese in wherever I can see a a shoe that needs more cheese to fit the foot.

I’m thinking the cheese rollers need to forget the collective manufacturing structure and think about their own personal cheeses:

4 Likes

They all seem to be a healthy weight back then

Indeed. We should stave off any more punning.

3 Likes

Shin kicking is the most insane sport I am familiar with. And yes, I’m including land diving in Vanuatu, the Mesoamerican ball game and American Football.

3 Likes
  • A 27-year-old named “Digger” Gardener dashed down wearing nothing but a T-shirt and a jockstrap in 1983. He claimed the outfit “did wonders for streamlining”, and so it must have done–he won first and second place.

So many questions about this…

3 Likes

8 Likes

That Netflix series seems to be the same concept as the Errol Morris movie “Fast, Cheap & Out of Control”. Which I recommend to anyone who hasn’t already seen it.

We’ve got weird competitions all over Britain

7 Likes

Kind of related are the snow machine wranglers at hill climb events. The rolling machines aren’t going 70, but they weigh something like 600 pounds. The hill may not look all that steep due to camera angle. I’ve skied this very slope, trust me, it’s steep.

I grew up pretty much right between the cheese rolling and the shin kicking, but I’ve never been to either for some reason. Clearly my parents missed out on what would have undoubtedly been educational days out.
The shin kicking contest is part of the Cotswold Olimpick games, which date back to 1612. Possibly Shakespeare attended, he seems to have heard of them at least.
One of my bosses did the cheeserolling and almost fractured his skull. There weren’t many tears shed, he was an arsehole.

And some arcane competitive hobbies, too. With skullduggery - as noted in the article here.

1 Like
1 Like