Watch this mechanic fix a customers' "broken" turn signal that, um, isn't really broken

Geez. Mine is cheap for here at $85/hr. I’ve seen as high as $115. And the parts are still damn expensive.

2 Likes

Gotta get a good rep with the local shop. I’ve done $100/hr for lifting my car up to do tranny work, but what the hell am I going to do otherwise?

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t touch internally lubricated parts. That’s a line for me.

2 Likes

The repair was free but he charged a hefty “Stupid Tax”.
This is very reminiscent of some women complaining about how rough their car ran in the days of manual chokes operated by a knob on the dashboard - they would pull the choke out so they could hang their handbags on the shaft.

1 Like

this is why we will never have nice things.
the owner of this car is allowed to drive. they are guaranteed the right to vote. it is their right to have as many children as they want and to raise them however they want, including being their only teacher. someone who doesn’t understand what gravity is can have real agency in affecting our quality of life, and of subsequent generations. it’s a miracle we all don’t live under rocks and hunt rats nocturnally.

4 Likes

Yeah its similar to the old “cup holder” story on desktop computers.

2 Likes

As much as possible I hope.

If stupidity had a physical cost a lot of people might wise up!

1 Like

Other than the earring part, I agree.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was hoping that wasn’t the intended use, as that’s worse. It really bothers me to see things hanging from cars’ rear view mirrors, tall objects on dashboards, car windows obstructed with stickers… I don’t know how people get away with it, legally.

That would make sense, and is certainly a lot less dangerous than hanging it from a rear view mirror (or turn signal for that matter)…

2 Likes

It does have a cost, one that too many people never learn to stop paying. It’s not just in politics or religion that we see groups of people signing up to be taken for a ride. There’s the old adage “A fool and his money are soon parted.”

Payday lenders, retailers that advertise sales or discounts in a confusing way, and pharma companies that emphasize the benefits of products while downplaying the risks are just a few industries that count on people not figuring out that they’re being played. Leaders in the public and private sector actively undermine public education until it costs them something (like having to automate cash registers because too many employees can’t count change).

What worries me is we haven’t hit rock bottom yet, and the stupidity appears to be spreading (with costs increasing) every year.

2 Likes

Nope. People die and/or kill others through carelessness all the time. For such a prolific species, humans seem to generally have a shallow learning curve and a stupendous capacity to not think things through.

2 Likes

Price? Normal diagnostic Hourly charges + stupid tax?

When you put it like that it sounds a lot better than eugenics.

As I’ve gotten older I realize I have short comings in areas. I had neighbors at one time who where not mechanically capable at all. Great family, but using a socket set was maxing out their ability. I was talking to the wife one day after I got home and she asked if I could look at their push mower. So we stroll over to their garage and there set a couple year old mower covered in oil. I’m a bit puzzled at first, until I realize there is a large 3" long section of the engine block that had been peeled open. She can see I’m confused and says that their college aged son had went to mow the yard and remembered that he should check the oil. I said by the looks of it he filled it up, like to the top of the fill tube, didn’t he? She just said yeah…
I happened to have a rusted out mower with a slightly older engine. This all happened in late fall, so I let them borrow my mower a few times and spent the winter stripping their engine down and rebuilding it with parts from my rusted out mower. I only charged them $20 for a new seal kit. It ran great for the next two years until they moved.

I’m good with tools and I like to think I have good common sense. I’m not so good with people, empathy is not my forte. Maybe she has compassion and patience to spare. (I like to think everyone is good at least something, but I have been proven wrong a time or two.)

6 Likes

turnip time

100.10. .10 for “tapping” $100 for knowing where to “tap”.

2 Likes

Had a similar issue with one particular car years ago, it would randomly turn itself off while I was driving. Fortunately I sussed out that the ignition switch was a bit worn, and it was the weight of all the crap I had hanging off the keyring turning the key just enough to turn it off, before suffering the embarrassment of asking a mechanic to sort out the problem.
Nowadays I keep my car keys separate, and I never hang anything on the indicator stalk!
I am guilty of hanging stuff from my rear-view mirror, though…
:relaxed:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.