Watch this mechanic fix a customers' "broken" turn signal that, um, isn't really broken

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/12/watch-this-mechanic-fix-a-cust.html

6 Likes

Now the real question is how much he charged for the repair.

17 Likes

Had a strange experience the other day giving an awkward yank on my cruise control stick. I guess my other hand wasn’t fully gripped on the wheel and when I pulled the stick down, the steering wheel reacted and the car flinched to the right at highway speeds. Learned a lesson and thankful there were zero consequences, but also wish the srick was mounted on the column and not the wheel.

1 Like

That must be a little bottle of reserve blinker fluid.

22 Likes

Is that a travel-size Pepto Bismol?

2 Likes

A not insignificant part of me hopes “A lot.”

4 Likes

Well, Ms. I tried to disengage the the steering column which is why it took so long. It turns out that there was a counterweight attached to the blinking mechanism which I aptly removed and did a quick road test to ensure safety. The parts charges are minimal since we didn’t have to replace anything but the $30/hr labor fee still applies. Do you want to pay cash or credit?

11 Likes
Service Price
Defective turn signal recalibration
    parts: $0.00
    labor: $1.00
Pain and suffering from losing all faith in humanity: $5000.00
Total: $5001.00
26 Likes

Wait, you guys are getting paid for that?

20 Likes

Not yet, but I keep sending bills to head of the NYT Opinion department.

Last one came back “Addressee not at this address” though.

6 Likes

I’m almost perfectly equally torn between “played it serious and charged a fortune” and “politely and patiently explained the real issue for free.” This is a perfect moral quandary and my own personal response would vary from day to day.

5 Likes

I was confused as to why they had attached a weight to the signal and it took me a while to figure out that was hand sanitizer. Now I’m trying to figure out why it was there (and what it was intended to be hung from - the rear view mirror?).

2 Likes

I had an issue with my Dodge van losing power/shutting off while driving which was scary as fuck. I called the dealer and explained the issue. The guy on the phone asked me how many keys I had on my key ring (it was a few plus a metal bottle opener) and then suggested I try removing any extra keys/weight. Low and behold that was the issue. I now keep my van key on a seperate key ring and all is well.

6 Likes

How fucking dumb do you have to be to not have figured that out?

So dumb that I bet she wasn’t even embarrassed when it was pointed out to her.

3 Likes

You have a very, very cheap mechanic.

Also, I really wish my auto issues were this cheap and low-cost!

7 Likes

you can’t trick me. i know blinker fluid is just water

4 Likes

Ugh, seeing cars with hanging from the rear view mirror (causing distraction at best, obstructing view of the road at worst) is one of my pet peeves. The worst are disabled parking placards, which have instructions to remove them when the car is in motion, but too many drivers don’t bother to do so.

4 Likes

Gravity, how does that work?

1 Like

I suspect it was supposed to be hung from your purse, keychain, backpack, belt loop, earring, what have you.

5 Likes

They up-price the parts and down-price the labor. It all evens out and I usually pay cash…so they appreciate it and there’s that. The guys are awesome and they didn’t even up-price my wife when she showed up solo.

1 Like