Watch this new Disney-Pixar short, "Bao"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/18/watch-this-new-disney-pixar-sh.html

5 Likes

This played with The Incredibles 2. Is a decent addition to the Pixar shorts.

11 Likes

i’m trippin’ - thought this was much older than that. but i guess the theatrical release of i2 was some time ago now.

1 Like

Yeah. Well this past summer. If you consider that a while ago.

Lovely. So many nice little touches. Notice how the girlfriend first walks into the house with her shoes still on. By the end she’s wearing slippers like the mom.

6 Likes

My children found this slightly confusing before the incredibles…

1 Like

it is the era of trump, after all. this week was a hell of a year.

6 Likes

Came here because of my love for steamed buns

5 Likes

Interesting that it’s on YT. Disney is also happy to sell it to you for $2.99 on amazon and iTunes.

1 Like

Ok, I’m sold.

5 Likes

Oh dammit, it’s been years, but Pixar still knows how many paces to take when measuring out the run-up to kicking me straight in the feels. Got three children and none of them quite like that, but that’s how it could have been… Owww…

7 Likes

This is actually a twist on an underground film made in 1980’s China during the one-child era, in which a woman has a second child and, in her panic and shame, attempts to make bao dumplings out of it. Very dark.

4 Likes

This got tons of laughs and cheers when I saw it before Incredibles 2, as well as a shocked gasp at a certain scene that filled the whole theater.

3 Likes

It took a while but Pixar is starting to do much better at telling stories that aren’t all based on a middle-class-white-guy perspective. Sanjay’s Super-Team was another fun Pixar short exploring the immigrant family experience. (I once had the privilege of having writer/director Sanjay Patel talk to my after-school animation class back when he was still a relatively junior animator at the studio).

5 Likes

This is gonna make me tear up isn’t it?

3 Likes

It’s not the first ten minutes of Up but it’s in the same ballpark.

6 Likes

I loved this short when I first saw it and have been looking for it! Aside: It’s possible that baozi is my favorite Chinese food.

Its a really great short, very emotional but sweet at the same time. I’m Latino so the cultures are obviously different but family dynamics are very similar. I’m very close to my mom/family so by the end of the short i was crying in the theater. I guess Pixar loves to break me earlier and earlier during their feature films. Next time they’ll make sure i cry before i know what their next movie is.

6 Likes

It’s clearly meant more for parents and older/grown up children. Not that a kid might not get some connection to the short, but i think its more aimed at grown-ups. It also wasn’t a 20 minute Frozen short (like they did with Coco) so i’ll take it.

4 Likes

Gets me every time. Never quite as much as the first time I saw it, but still: Every. Single. Time.

3 Likes