Watch this scammer get glitterbombed and then arrested

1. Open document
  2. Search Grandmother, etc.
  3. Done
1 Like

That’s also something that could have been done by a man in the middle attack - no exhaustive memoir reading required.

A MITM attack is highly improbable. Bob hadn’t been in touch with Harry for quite some time, the anecdote isn’t something Harry would talk frequently about, and an exhaustive search isn’t required, just a simple search on a keyword, takes seconds. We’ve discussed this endlessly and we’re pretty certain this is how it was done.

4 Likes

Merely an option I wanted to point out so that people don’t think that advanced hacking and lots of research is necessary to get tricked, that is “it can’t happen to me because it would take too much work”. Scammers’ methods are sometimes ridiculously simple.

4 Likes

Why is it that these kind of scams seem to be so prevalent in the US compared to the UK?
I get maybe two spam calls in a year, I do my best to waste their time, then forward their number on to my mobile company and never hear from them again.

2 Likes

On how identity theft is managed by banks, not fraud, but tangentially related: Mitchell & Webb Sound - Identity Theft - YouTube

2 Likes

Because our streets are paved with gold and if you can make it their you can make it anywhere? Fair question, am curious why.

1 Like

So far I had assumed that the reason I don’t see them a lot is because it is much harder to recruit people that speak German/Norwegian in India. But if it’s the same in the UK then it can’t purely be a language thing.

(There are those that try from time to time but they try it in English. Seems like a waste of time to me because the target demographic doesn’t usually speak English)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.