Watch this trick shot artist hit an egg at 300 yards while standing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/28/watch-this-trick-shot-artist-h.html

8 Likes

That’s VERY impressive. I don’t know what the drop is at 300 yards, but a good, fast .22lr round will have at least a 40 inch drop at 200 yards from being sighted in at 50 yards. And done standing! The super fancy Ruger 10/22 with all the Volquartsen stuff (or their clone with the machined receiver) makes it more likely to score a hit, but standing with the wind, and fatigue, etc, it’s pretty impressive to hit a target so small. If she had a spotter with a 30x or 50x spotting scope, they might have helped her dial in the shots faster. She was using Arkansas Elevation, adjusting her hold point instead of the scope cross hairs (with that amount of drop, I don’t think you could have adjusted it fully anyway.)

Anyway. Bravo.

Fun fact - this is the sort of thing most shooters are doing with their rifles, whether it be an AR or a fancy .22lr target rifle - at 300 yards, or 100 yards, or even further.

Fun fact two, a shooter scored a world record hit at 3 miles with a .338 Lapau , and had to have this massive machined block between the rifle and scope to get the elevation correct. Of course it was via bench rest.

ETA - woah, hold on no,no,no,no, it was a .408 Chaytac.

21 Likes

Yeah this is the main reason I like to shoot .22, because I don’t have access to anything longer than about 200 yards to shoot. It’s also a lot more convenient (I don’t have to drive a half mile to set up a target) and muuuuuch cheaper, even with high quality ammunition.

7 Likes

She needs a bigger scope. :shark:

She just ruined an egg. God dammit that’s not right.

11 Likes

I see you went there without any prompting.

19 Likes

I still don’t get why these seemingly proud Americans wear gloomy black and white flags that many consider disrespectful to the flag.

Silkscreens are expensive, yo.

4 Likes

Since I know it’s going there: Yes, this is what most people including myself for going on 30 years do with their guns. Obviously not often with this degree of skill, but it’s what most of the shooting being done is–shooting harmless targets for sport and challenge.

That does not, however, preclude the need for significant gun control reform. There are serious problems with the current system in the United States that are unrelated to the actual cause of gun violence in the US which has more to do with barbaric police, classism, and the nation’s apparent indifference toward mental health.

24 Likes

me too. responding to phantom commenters??

5 Likes

Wouldn’t it drop 40" regardless of where it’s zeroed?

The drop over 300x is pretty easy to figure out. It is [0.5].[9.81].[t].[t], (I.e., 1/2at^2), where t can be estimated from the MV divided by 300 … or 275 if you want to avoid another unpleasant Mars Climate Orbiter incident. Figure for this shot she was using a hot round to make things slightly easier, so an MV of around 500m/s. Therefore, drop = [0.5].[9.81].[[500]/[275]]^2 ~ 16m.

Physics! It works, bitches!

So, that’s all academically amusing, but it’s also completely irrelevant. Assuming the scope is properly zeroed for 300x (potentially tedious, but not actually difficult), or she has figured out the correct graticle to use at 300x (again it’s probably a tedious task, but it’s not actually difficult), then the drop could be 16m, or 160m, or 1600m, it really doesn’t matter.

The really impressive thing here is the strength, muscle control, and discipline to achieve the shot standing. Bravo.

10 Likes

Yes, but could she hit a guy in Laos from a thousand yards out in high wind?

1 Like

Goddam rocket scientists! :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Good question. Part of this is terminology. If a rifled is zeroed in at a range, it is expected to hit at the cross hair at that range. Shoot closer or further away from where it is zeroed, and the point of impact will rise or fall. Yes the bullet does fall at a constant rate all things fall at, but due to where the gun is zeroed, you will already have it slightly elevated. So if you move the target out without adjusting the scope, the round should hit a specific amount lower. But if you re-calibrate your scope to zero at the new range, it will again hit at the crosshair and there is no “drop” as far as its point of impact is at the crosshair.

Some examples: If you zeroed your rifle at 200 yards, then there would be zero drop when shooting at 200 yards (that isn’t to say the bullet isn’t dropping in the arch of the path, but rather you already elevated the rifle so that it hits at the cross hair at 200 yards.) But at 50 yards it would be shooting 40 inches high.

Or if you zeroed it at 100 yards, it would would be about 4" high at 50 yards, and 36" low at 200 yards.

That’s true.

4 Likes

Because they have no goddamned idea what they’re doing.

Fun story–the “thin blue line” thing is both totally unoriginal and accidentally extremely telling about how America and Americans view law enforcement.

The “thin blue line” was cribbed from “the thin red line” which, contrary to present American understanding, has nothing to do with firefighters–more on that later, is actually a reference to the Battle of Balaclava where a comparatively weak British force managed to fend off the Russian cavalry with only a “thin red line” of troops. In reality, it wasn’t even that the British fought all that well–the Russian cavalry believed that there was no way the British would attack with so few troops, and that the comparatively weak force was actually meant to be a diversion to set up an ambush. That didn’t stop the British from being stereotypically British about it, of course, and there was a famous painting and such and the phrase eventually became a somewhat common idiom to describe an instance where a thinly-spread military force fought off a disproportionately large attacker. (Provided, of course, the ones doing the winning are “good guys” otherwise we call it other things…)

Then it got co-opted by the American police, and that’s when shit got gross. At best it’s extremely lazy wordplay, but more commonly it means the same thing that “thin red line” means, only it’s just an open admission that the American judicial system is at war with its own people. It says, “cops are the ‘good guys’ that are fighting the war at home to keep you safe.” There is a war at home, but the police are the ones who predominantly make it unsafe, either indirectly by not doing their jobs well or directly by straight up murdering people.

Thin blue line flags in America say, “cops are unquestionably right, and those that disagree are the enemy.” People display it because they share that sentiment, or because they think it means they’ll be spared mistreatment by appearing to be an “ally.” The people displaying them might not be consciously aware of what they’re signaling, but that’s not really very important to the people behind it. You’ve got the people making all this cheap “patriotic” shit in China and shipping it over here to sell to people who ironically, if asked, would say they prefer to buy American. Those people don’t care because they’re making money hand over fist. That’s just normal gross capitalism though, the other group of people, the one you need to worry about, are the ones that understand that a symbol doesn’t have to have a well-defined meaning at the beginning. You can absolutely create a symbol, make it a part of a bunch of peoples’ identities even if they are aren’t sure why, and then assign a super extreme meaning to it after the fact and fair number of those people will just kind of accept it.

That’s the people you have to watch out for, they’re the ones that want fascism and authoritarianism. They’re probably not wearing those flags though, most of them are probably even pretty obscure. They have money and an agenda though, and they’re fully aware of history.

The black versions of the flag can be interpreted lots of ways. Technically a monochrome black US flag is a protest flag, but that’s clearly not the intent of the people wearing them. My guess is they think it looks cool, and maybe announces those pro-fascist allegiances at a slightly higher volume. I doubt very highly that the majority of the people displaying them have any idea what the symbolism even means or where it came from. More than likely it’s a trendy fashion accessory for the modern American reactionary.

Now the funny part–because capitalism, they started making thin red line stuff in the US too, only in an astonishing “only-in-the-sense-that-it’s-so-predictable” twist, the people cashing in were either completely unaware that it was already a thing that meant a specific thing, or they just didn’t care about it. All they saw was double the cheap garbage revenue because who doesn’t like firefighters?

14 Likes

I know nothing about guns or shooting but she does show in the video how many marks down on the scope she’s aiming for based on a test shot.

1 Like

My late grandmother was an avid target shooter, I think she would have loved this, though I suspect she would sniff a lot at the high-falutin’ high-tech space-rifle being used. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This is not a trick shot, no magic here just skill and a lot of it

8 Likes

Yes, that is the “Arkansas Elevation”, and scopes with the mil dots can allow you to pretty accurately know where to hold over for both wind and drop if you know the range and can adjust your aim.

If the drop wasn’t so severe, typically when sighting in a scope for a specific range, or adjusting for shooting long range, is they will adjust where the crosshairs aim. But that far away for a poor .22lr I think you could adjust the scope as far as it would go and still have to aim high.

If you ever see some sniper movie where they have a spotter and they are like, “5 clicks right”, that is the number of clicks on the scope adjustment. For long range shooters there is a shit ton of math involved, though they have fancy ballistics computers now. And there are a ton of different variables. Changing bullet brands will throw your point of impact off and require adjustment. The long range sport shooter all hand load and keep meticulous records on all the various variables in bullet loading, tweaking recipes, and then making sure it is all the same when they find one they like.

2 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing!

5 Likes