Watch this wild video of children being thrown high in the air as they ride a poorly designed giant slide

I know YouTube comments have a reputation but, boy, they sure do seem to have a lot of racist comments on that video! Is it because it is in Detroit?

(Edited: same video, but twitter embeds work better)

3 Likes

We haven’t been on Belle Isle in a couple years. My wife hung out there as a child, her and I used to hang out there at night with a blanket on the beach and an occasional skinny dip in the Detroit River. There was a Seagram distributor in Canada right across from the island, their huge neon sign was our submarine races to watch from our blanket.

We took our daughter there in the late 80s for things like the zoo, giant slide, aquarium, and botanical gardens. Despite what the comments say in a lot of stories about this, Belle Aisle is a great place. Before covid we would park in Downtown Detroit and ride our bikes through Detroit with a tour of the island.

Been to a couple weddings at the Detroit Yacht Club, what a historic place that is.

In the 90s and 00s it became unsafe after dark but since the state took over maintenance and care it’s back to the great park it has been.

On News Year Eve 1999 leading into 2000 we ran a 5K after dark on the island, clocked my personal best that night with a sub 18 minute run.

The aquarium, oldest in the country, just opened their new octopus exhibit the same weekend as the out of control slide reopened. That slide was built in 1967 and then rebuilt with the same design in 1980 something.

The shipping museum has the anchor from the Edmund Fitzgerald.

In other words, I love Belle Isle.

This is how it should behave.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.