Watch Tony Hawk run Tokyo's Ariake Urban Sports Park

Originally published at: Watch Tony Hawk run Tokyo's Ariake Urban Sports Park | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Tony is my age, i believe.

meanwhile, i’m sitting here after just taking my normal two morning ibuprofen and rubbing Tiger Balm into the sore spot on my lower back. he’s amazing.

9 Likes

It’s insane to me that an Olympic sport has staircases in the middle of its course. Why can’t the rails be over a softer surface?

1 Like

Skating stairs for points.

7 Likes

and you’re going to have to stop using paracetomol soon, they no longer recommend it for older adults (i know, me too)

3 Likes

how do these kids keep airpods in their ears? I sneeze and they fly across the room.

4 Likes

wait, what? really? if so, i’m doomed.

3 Likes

I hope the younger skaters take note of Tony’s safety gear and connect that with being able to enjoy the sport for so long! The last part of the video, kids with no helmets or anything, made me cringe a bit…

7 Likes

That’s called the Voice of Experience, aka Getting old and realizing you are NOT indestructible and that you don’t heal nearly as fast as you used to. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m not quite as old as Mr. Hawk (I’m ~ 5 years behind him, I think) but I’m amazed that he can still rip it up.

4 Likes

Tiger balm is the bomb!

3 Likes

Totally. Nothing as exciting as being a world class skater, but I worked construction starting in my twenties and thought dust masks and ear protection were “too uncomfortable” early on, and have lived long enough to fully experience the errors of my ways.

6 Likes

5:16 Ow! Ow! Ow! Ankles! :persevere:

Wouldn’t Ibuprofen be better?

2 Likes

I guess it’s kind of interesting that the Olympics is looking to expand its viewership with new sports that will appeal to a younger audience. I wonder when busy boards will become an Olympic sport. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I just saw the headline again, but misread it as “Watch Tom Hanks run Tokyo’s Ariake Urban Sports Park” and now I want to see that so, so much.

6 Likes

The headline should be: “the search for Animal Chin takes Tony Hawk to the Tokyo Olympics”.

Most of the Z-Boys are now in their 60s. Tony Hawk is 53. Maybe it is just the IOC that is decades behind the times.

2 Likes

I get the feeling that Tony Hawk is doing the same, from his comments about not doing some of his signature moves anymore.

It can cause stomach problems (I got into pain management early, CFS in my mid 20s was not fun and it never fully went away.)

3 Likes

The Old Ways are always the best ways.

They need to bring back the Plunge for Distance, Live Pigeon Shooting, the Horse High Jump, Pistol Dueling and the 2,000 meter Swim Obstacle Course.

I shit you not.

At least we still have the most relevant sports to people today - the Biathlon and Horse Dancing!

3 Likes

Can the Olympics bring back medals for art? It’s about the only hope I have of ever winning gold.

5 Likes

I’m a shoe in for interpretive hammock napping.

5 Likes