Watch trucks drive massive wind turbine blades up a mountain

The useful load of a S-64F Skycrane is supposedly more than 13 tons, so in theory one ought to be able to lift one of these (12+ ton) blades. The point about wind resistance is probably a good one, though. It also might be cheaper to move by truck, even with the difficulty they have to go through.

1 Like

I get that this is an ad for the tractor, but I feel that the real hero of the piece is that fancy trailer. A maneuverable load that can be dodged out of the way of obstacles, brilliant!

9 Likes

But was the truck going to explode if they hit a pothole wrong or went over washboarding?

Wages of Fear is a great movie.

2 Likes

C&C sure has come a long way from their music factory roots.

4 Likes

Why didn’t they use these trucks to carry the 747 to burning man instead of sawing it in half?

Why doesn’t Optimus just transform for the difficult corners and carry the thing on his shoulder?

6 Likes

the last earnest try to build a business around transport airships was Cargolifter. they gave up after some 700 million Deutschmarks - the last guesstimate was that they needed about the same sum again to be ready for production.

Blimps have been tested for lifting timber out of logging areas, but the enemy of LTA craft is exactly what these turbine blades are for: wind.

1 Like

I was hoping to see the blades attached to the turbine, but I guess I’ll have to wait for the crane infomercial to be released.

1 Like

Best I can find for you:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.